If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #37149  by dave_in_delaware

I had to make a late night run to the Bear Happy Harry's for some Prilosec for the wife. I walked inside the store and I guess the guard, who was sitting way over at the photo department, must have noticed that I was carrying. Because as soon as I walked in, I felt him hawking my firearm.

I had stopped at the front counter because the manager was there, and they keep the Prilosec locked up. I told him I'd like to get some for my wife, and while we walked back to where they kept it, the guard leaned forward and was like :shock: the whole time as I walked past him strong side. I pretended to not notice, and walked around the corner and back the aisle (along with the manager) to where the cabinet was. The manager told me about the generic stuff, too.

As I turned to walk back up to the front with him, I saw the guard at the end of the aisle, still watching me. He had backed up when I got near the front of the store, and I walked past him again. The whole time he watched. When I got up to the cash register to pay, I noticed that the guard was slowly walking towards me, trying to be nonchalant about it (and failing miserably). I paid for my medicine, thanked the manager, and started walking towards the door. I noticed that the guard was pretty much at the door by then, watching me carefully as I walked outside and around the corner to my car.

I'll bet he asked the manager if he noticed that I had a gun. LOL.

Nothing was said to me, not even by the manager or the other employee at the front, or by the guard. I just thought it was kind of funny how the guard leaned forward and stared at my gun, and hawked me the entire time I was inside the store. Actually, he did his job better than most guards I've seen in stores like that.
 #37152  by cappilot06

I'm guessing you already knew this, but that store was robbed in broad daylight about a month ago, with the robber taking the guard's firearm. Could be the reason the guard was slightly skittish. Glad they didn't make an issue of it and that you weren't treated like a criminal/robber!!

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4085
 #37154  by GatorDude

I view this as a good result. Sure, the guard was skittish. Given the history here, that's at least somewhat understandable. However, even given that history, no one prohibited you from being a law-abiding, armed citizen shopping in the store. :applause:
 #37163  by Jeepflexin

GatorDude wrote:I view this as a good result. Sure, the guard was skittish. Given the history here, that's at least somewhat understandable. However, even given that history, no one prohibited you from being a law-abiding, armed citizen shopping in the store. :applause:
Agreed
 #37177  by WPCatfish

cappilot06 wrote: Could be the reason the guard was slightly skittish.

Poor slob was probably thinking 'they're going to dock my pay for another gun!'
 #37178  by dave_in_delaware

I'm not sure if the guard last night even had a gun. I hadn't really noticed.

A lot of the "security guard" companies don't allow their employees to even carry guns. Liability issues I guess....
 #37179  by MeanOperator

I go in there all the time,and I never really got watched much.The last time I did though,it was a few days after their last incident.Same as Dave tho,they never say anything,just stare...
 #37180  by Amy Blackthorn

dave_in_delaware wrote:I'm not sure if the guard last night even had a gun. I hadn't really noticed.

A lot of the "security guard" companies don't allow their employees to even carry guns. Liability issues I guess....

Well He was allowed to carry up until an armed robber took his gun from him, we were there the week before he was robbed. Carrying his duty gun in a velcro holster. :banghead: I'm sure Velcro has its place. My husband carries one around the house, and a retention holster when he leaves the house. But if you're a security guard, out in the world, where someone is more likely to try to take your firearm from you, you'd think they'd have more than Velcro.

Matt and I have both carried in there, and never had a problem, but we haven't been back since it was robbed in broad day light.
 #37231  by MeanOperator

I stopped in there last night again about 8pm,very crowded too.I only had to get one thing for my wife,but I walked the whole store.I got alot of stares,but noone said a word to me.