If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #37307  by Feathers

I know a few of you have had problems with the Walmart in Camden, DE so I had stopped into the store yesterday and looked for signs. They have no signs posted about firearms. I spoke with a petite black girl in her late 20's who was a supervisor for the cashier area, and asked her if the Camden Walmart followed the state laws on firearms. She told me firearms were against the law in Walmart and under no circumstance they are not allowed on store property. I thanked her for her time and went home and called the corporate office.

I spoke to woman at the corporate office and asked her Walmart's stance on open carrying firearms into the store. She told me they follow the state law on firearms, with stores having the option of asking the person to leave if a customer feels threatened. I stated that this is understandable, and told her what the Camden Walmart is doing and saying about the situation. She said they are wrong, and said she is going to contact management there and will have someone call me back. Assistant Manager Carol called me back from the Camden location, and told me that they indeed do follow state laws on firearms, and customers are allowed to carry into the store if they have a permit.

I educated her on the difference of open carry and concealed carry, and that a permit is only necessary to conceal carry unless it is Dover. She told me that she didn't know, and thanked me for correcting her. I asked if there was any way she could pass the information on to the rest of management and employees in a note or flier and she said they cannot pass them out, but she will indeed get all of management on the same page about allowing customers in the store who are open carrying, and that they should only be asked to leave if a customer feels threatened; even then the person open carrying would only be asked to secure the firearm in the vehicle.

Take this information as face value if you will, but please note that all of management is not on the same page as Carol just yet. There you have it. If you have time, please be sure to call or ask for Carol when you go to this Walmart location and thank her for her understanding and for settling the issue once and for all.
 #37310  by George

No offense intended, but Please stop asking around.
I have been carrying for 3 years plus in Camden Wal-Mart 2-4 times a week and no problems. While corporate policy allows carry, the stores now have it fresh in their mind that they can ask you to leave if a customer is concerned. I carry all the time in all the places you have expressed interest in asking about. Sometimes in business casual, sometimes in dirty jeans, tee shirt, and sandals. I do not ask for permission to exercise my 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, ect… rights. I just do it.

Look natural, act natural, and if someone asks you to leave, do it. The time to contact is after you have been asked to leave.

I have had no problems in the Camden Wyoming area, even had dominos buzz me in late at night while open carrying. I live in magnolia and frequent all these places frequently. If you have specific concerns about a place in the area let me know and I’ll let you know if it is somewhere I have visited.
 #37313  by Feathers

It was a positive experience for the store and those who carry. No offense intended, but asking after many others have had problems with this store allowed for management to understand guns are OK to carry, and their policy does not state guns are not allowed in Walmart. Everyone's experience with this store has not been the same. You do not ask permission in which I understand, but a polite conversation with those who are ignorant of firearms and the laws that pertain to them have put to rest some concerns. Is it not the goal to educate others on open carry?
 #37314  by Boots

George wrote:No offense intended, but Please stop asking around. ....
+1
 #37315  by GatorDude

Feathers: You have now reinforced the idea that the store can ask someone to leave who is open carrying merely because someone else is "concerned." That does not help anyone. The idea here is to go about your daily lives while open carrying so that essentially no one actually pays attention to the fact that you are carrying. There are no neon lights and no one wants to draw attention to themselves.

Your tactics draw a bullseye. Whether the net effect is a good or bad bullseye is irrelevant. No one wants the bullseye.
 #37318  by photog

George wrote:No offense intended, but Please stop asking around.
Very much agreed.... please keep in mind Feathers, as it has been stated on this forum several times, "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission".... most store employees will take the "safe" road and say it's against policy to cover their own ass, when not really even knowing the store's "official" policy.

And, I would like to welcome you to the forum!!! :applause:
 #37324  by Jeepflexin

Feathers wrote:It was a positive experience for the store and those who carry. No offense intended, but asking after many others have had problems with this store allowed for management to understand guns are OK to carry, and their policy does not state guns are not allowed in Walmart. Everyone's experience with this store has not been the same. You do not ask permission in which I understand, but a polite conversation with those who are ignorant of firearms and the laws that pertain to them have put to rest some concerns. Is it not the goal to educate others on open carry?
No not really, the goal is to go to Walmart and make the purchase I want without being hassled. I am not into educating the rest of the world about the second amendment, if asked I'll gladly talk to someone about it but the truth is that if someone doesn't understand what "will not be infringed" means there is little hope that me talking to them will make a difference. I will not ask for permission to exercise my second amendment. At best it would allow me to gloat that "I talked to the manager and they are cool with it" but at worst it will cause said manager to put OC'ing on their radar in a negative light which affects everyone else in a bad way. Know the law and make sure you are complying, if asked to leave comply and register a complaint. More about this in the other Walmart thread.
 #37328  by myopicvisionary

As I have stated elsewhere here... I have not and will never ask permission to do what is legal.
 #37395  by DMac

George wrote:
No offense intended, but Please stop asking around. ....

+1
 #37396  by DMac

myopicvisionary wrote:

"As I have stated elsewhere here... I have not and will never ask permission to do what is legal."

+1