If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #37528  by dave_in_delaware

I was at my wife's old house this morning removing the appliances and getting everything else out of it before the Sheriff's sale this Tuesday. A NCC Police officer slowly rolled past me and a friend (who was helping me) while we were in the driveway loading his pickup truck. The Officer must have went down the street and turned around, because he was back in no time.

He pulled up right at the driveway and he looked over at us. He said something but I couldn't hear him. I walked down to him with my hand up to my ear so he knew I didn't hear him. I leaned over so I could see him in his car.

Him: "I see you have a gun there."
Me: "Yes Sir." (I said it almost happily with a smile)
Him: "What are you doing here?"
Me: "I'm getting the rest of my stuff out of the house before the Sheriff's sale on Tuesday."
Him: "So you're Mr. ------?" (looking at his computer)
Me: "Yes I am."
Him: "And who is that? Your son?" (referring to my friend)
Me: "No, he's a friend. He had the pickup!"
Him: "How'd you get into the house?"
Me: "With my key."
Him: "The Sheriff's don't have possession of the house?"
Me: "I guess not. I figured I had until the sale date to get everything out."
Him: "Oh, well OK. I just had to stop and check things out."
Me: "That's fine. Thank you."

And he drove off. He never asked me about my gun or if I had a license, or asked for ID or proof that I had a key to the house. He was very nice and never seemed upset or worried about us. I'm guessing he pulled up the house info by the time he rolled up to the driveway.

Since we were loading appliances into a pickup I'm sure that's why he stopped and questioned me as to what we were doing (especially since he had seen my gun when he went past the first time). I'm kind of surprised that he never asked for ID or for me to prove that I didn't force my way into the house or anything. But I looked him in the eyes while answering his questions, and I wasn't nervous at all, so I guess he was happy with what he heard.

I expected him to be "around" when we came back for the 2nd load, but I never saw anything at all the rest of the time we were there.

Overall, a good experience, and much "shorter" than I expected. I'm glad he stopped to make sure no one was breaking in and stealing stuff. Although I would hope no one would do that in broad daylight! (but I know some people would in this crazy world)
 #37529  by Boots

dave_in_delaware wrote:... Overall, a good experience, and much "shorter" than I expected. I'm glad he stopped to make sure no one was breaking in and stealing stuff. Although I would hope no one would do that in broad daylight! (but I know some people would in this crazy world)
Good all around! :mrgreen:
 #37530  by GatorDude

Good encounter.

Actually, you can continue occupying or using the property even after a Sheriff's Sale. The bank/buyer has to proceed with a second removal/eviction process that takes a while. In fact, they don't get a deed for a few weeks and then they have to file the paperwork to dispossess you of the house. That gets scheduled for a hearing and then the Sheriff's Office gives you 24 hours to leave and the next day the new owner can change the locks, etc.
 #37531  by dave_in_delaware

Wow. Thanks for all that legal info! That explains it.
 #37533  by photog

dave_in_delaware wrote:Him: "How'd you get into the house?"
Me: "With my key."

DUH!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:pointlaugh: Well officer, I shot out the back windows, crawled through, called a friend with a truck in broad daylight and decided to steal a bunch of stuff........ any more questions???
 #37541  by dave_in_delaware

For real. I wasn't trying to be "smart" with that answer. But it's not sold yet, so yeah, I still have the key.

He was more worried about us loading appliances into a truck than he was with me being armed while loading appliances into a truck. LOL.
 #37544  by SugarBoy13

Dave,

Did you get the officer's name? He clearly handled this situation rationally and should be recognized as an example of how a professional law enforcement officer should investigate a scene before jumping to conclusions and trampling on an individual's civil rights.

I think he did the right thing and just asked some questions, felt things out and once he realized that no crime was in progress, continued on his way.

No unnecessary detainment, No need for ID and none of this searching for a reason to "bust yo azz" mentality. Kudos to the NCC officer in...uh...Brown :? .
 #37547  by dave_in_delaware

No, I didn't get his name. He stayed in his car, so I couldn't really even see his nametag or badge.

But he definitely handled the situation professionally, and I do thank him for that.

Now that I think about it, I'm wondering if he was doing a totally random drive-through, or if one of the neighbors called the police for an armed man doing suspicious-looking activity at an abandoned house? Hmmmm...
 #37589  by WPCatfish

I wonder if it depends on the bank. The house next to ours was a sheriff sale and a bank rep asked us if we'd seen them move their stuff out before they had a locksmith come by. He also gave us his contact info in case the grass needed cutting or if we noticed any vandalism. Considering the state of some lawns of foreclosed houses, I was pleasantly surprised that they had a crew come out to do it.