If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #38430  by Jeepflexin

While hunting for a Halloween costume for my daughter, our third stop was a very busy Wally World near Wilton. I have OC'd there more times than I can count. Our first stop was the bathroom right inside the door, as I waited for them I noticed a young associate behind the service counter eyeballing my XD. Once my wife and daughter were done we proceeded to look for the costume section. After about 50 feet I hear "sir.......sir..........SIR". I stop and pivot around (smiling) and say "yes?"

Him: You law enforcement?
Me: I certainly am not.
Him: Oh, um can you (motions his shirt in a way like it would cover something)
Me: Are you asking me to conceal my firearm?
Him: Um, yeah I got customers.
Me: I can't do that as it is not legal without a permit.
Him: You don't have a permit?
Me:No.
Him: We only allow law enforcement and people with permits to carry here.
Me: Are you asking me to leave and take my business elsewhere?
Him: Um, no, um just put your shirt over it, I've got customers.
Me: (more assertively) I can not legally do that, please don't ask me to break the law.
Him:But we only allow law enforcement and people with permits.
Me: (Still assertive but smiling bigger) Actually Walmart's corporate policy is to yield to local laws, in Delaware you can legally carry a firearm openly without a permit.
Him: um, I need to call my manager, I got customers (gets on his radio saying he needs to talk to some on) wait here a minute, OK?
Me: OK (look at my wife who is pissed)

He walks away while talking on his headset and we wait 120 seconds before we continue our search for costumes, which took us literally all over the store twice. I did not notice any panic spreading through the store as we searched. The kiddo picks out a kitty cat outfit and we roll to the check out line. While checking out I see the associate talking to someone who could be a manager and "nodding" in my direction. We were not approached again as we left. On the way out I walked close enough to almost touch the guy who approached us but he refused eye contact and I don't need closure from him in order to sleep tonight.

Over all I assume the manager set him straight. Although the associate was clearly nervous and ignorant of corporate policy, he was not offensive or out of line in how he talked to me. Looking back I suspect I attracted unneeded attention by standing in front of the customer service area while the family was in the bathroom. In the future I will be more careful about "putting myself on display".

My wife was none to happy with me that we got stopped, that part just is what it is ;) .
 #38435  by GatorDude

Interesting. I find the panic intriguing as I have yet to see a criminal carrying a firearm in a retention holster. Just sayin'....
 #38437  by Guard_Duck

Jeepflexin wrote: Him: Um, yeah I got customers.

What does the fact that "he got customers" (New Castle grammar aside) have to do with anything? I could see if he stated "I have customers who have reported a person with a gun", but "I got customers" is a BS excuse.

I don't even go to that Walmart anymore, the area its in, the parking lot, and the composition of the majority of the customers in that Walmart keep me away. And I've never been hassled at the Centreville Road one. Maybe due to the fact one of the first times I OC'd in there, some kids were trying to run out the "in" side doors, and as soon as they saw me, they froze and that let loss prevention catch them. Once they found out I wasn't a LEO, the kids were pissed.
 #38448  by CorBon

It’s been a while since I’ve been into that store. No one wants to go there with me, and I don’t want to go there. Really, it’s bad in the parking lot, and it only gets worse in the store. And it’s not only the customers that are bad, but also the employees. It’s the only store that I know of where it’s perfectly acceptable for the cashiers to put you on hold while they stand there and talk to another cashier about what they did last night, or talk on their personal telephones, or text-message someone. The reason that the employee was worried about “his customers” is because most of them are probably wanted, and if they confuse an OCer with and LEO – these fine, upstanding folks may take their business elsewhere.

For me, it’s a lot easier to go to another store, even if that store happens to be in Tulsa – or someplace equally remote.
 #38451  by Jeepflexin

GatorDude wrote:Interesting. I find the panic intriguing as I have yet to see a criminal carrying a firearm in a retention holster. Just sayin'....
Define "retention holster", please.
 #38452  by Jeepflexin

What does the fact that "he got customers" (New Castle grammar aside) have to do with anything? I could see if he stated "I have customers who have reported a person with a gun", but "I got customers" is a BS excuse.
Yeah he was struggling to figure a reason why. :pointlaugh:
I don't even go to that Walmart anymore, the area its in, the parking lot, and the composition of the majority of the customers in that Walmart keep me away. And I've never been hassled at the Centreville Road one.
This was actually my first Walmart "encounter" (I think). I usually truck down to the one in Middletown but we were already at Governors Square so I figured "what the hell I'm armed anyways" :) Besides it was more like a "half encounter", he asked my to do something illegal, I said no and he ran away to tell his manager and neither returned. Of course in the back of my mind I was wondering if the cops were en-route...
 #38467  by myopicvisionary

The retention level of the holster refers to the number of retention devices you have to release or move the gun past in order to draw the pistol from the holster:

An example of a level l holster would be a simple thumb-break device that must be unclipped in order to draw the weapon.

A Level ll holster example is one where a thumb-break is released then the pistol must be moved (rocked forward or rearwards) in the holster to clear some form of internal locking device before it can be drawn.

A Level lll holster is one where three separate retaining devices, both internal and external must be undone or bypassed.
The Police Policy Studies Council
 #38470  by GatorDude

Jeepflexin wrote:
GatorDude wrote:Interesting. I find the panic intriguing as I have yet to see a criminal carrying a firearm in a retention holster. Just sayin'....

What myopic said.... :roll:
 #38492  by Jeepflexin

GatorDude wrote:
Jeepflexin wrote:

What myopic said.... :roll:
That's what I kinda figured, wanted to make sure before I stated the holster I use with the XD does not qualify as a retention style holster, more of a "friction fit". So that being said does that make me look like a criminal? :? :lol:
 #38495  by GatorDude

Jeepflexin wrote:

What myopic said.... :roll:[/quote]

That's what I kinda figured, wanted to make sure before I stated the holster I use with the XD does not qualify as a retention style holster, more of a "friction fit". So that being said does that make me look like a criminal? :? :lol:[/quote]

Look, smarta$$, just don't shove the gun in your waistband or pocket and you've pretty much set yourself apart.... :pointlaugh: :lol: