If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #39113  by dave_in_delaware

A receipt w/ serial number? Unchambered? Wow. I never heard of those! Funny stuff.

I didn't need my receipt to get my gun out of NCC Police evidence AFTER shooting someone in self-defense, so I doubt I'd need one just to carry my gun around in the first place. Nevermind the fact that none of the Officers that showed up that night ever asked if I legally owned the gun, asked me for proof (receipt), or mentioned that I broke the law by having a round chambered.

I'm hoping everyone here knows by now that carrying a firearm around without a chambered round is kind of pointless. Right?
 #39119  by GatorDude

Pointless, indeed. Unless you actually think for one second that your gun will scare away the BG just by he/them getting a visual.... :banghead:
 #39127  by jslacker

photog wrote:
I'm curious though jslacker, which LEO agency was this officer with??? Let me take a guess.... NCCPD??[/quote]

Actually this was one of our boys in blue from troop 2.
 #39130  by cappilot06

stephpd wrote:Mostly because we'd like to think we're law abiding citizens and have done the due diligence to make sure we aren't breaking the law.
This is completely true, and for the most part we are treated as the law abiding citizens that we are. We have at times, however, been treated more as law breakers than law supporters. In the past two years this has really turned around and most LEO's know the law. THis is really suprising coming from a DE state trooper, however. We've written letters and many here have had verbal indication that the concept of OC in all its forms is covered in the police academy. This leads me to believe this trooper knows full well he is completely wrong but wishes to intimidate in order to keep people from carrying.
 #39132  by jslacker

cappilot06 wrote:
stephpd wrote:Mostly because we'd like to think we're law abiding citizens and have done the due diligence to make sure we aren't breaking the law.
This leads me to believe this trooper knows full well he is completely wrong but wishes to intimidate in order to keep people from carrying.
Does this ring just as true for one that may instruct a firearms class that fulfills the requirements for a CCDW? I only ask this because there is a certain individual that I know of who lives in the area who will preach how "bad" OC is, and if your going to carry at all you should only CC.
 #39134  by cappilot06

jslacker wrote:
cappilot06 wrote:
This leads me to believe this trooper knows full well he is completely wrong but wishes to intimidate in order to keep people from carrying.
Does this ring just as true for one that may instruct a firearms class that fulfills the requirements for a CCDW? I only ask this because there is a certain individual that I know of who lives in the area who will preach how "bad" OC is, and if your going to carry at all you should only CC.
I was told in my classes for my CCDW that I was lucky I haven't been shot yet for OC'ing...the inference was that this could have come just as easily from a cop as a bad guy. Well it's been almost 2 1/2 years for me and I've never even been close to a situation where I was going to be shot. This was the during the classes given at Targetmaster. The gentleman giving the class was an awesome instructor...I don't want to take that away from him. But he's former PA law enforcement and SWAT and was in NO way OC friendly.
 #39147  by photog

jslacker wrote:
photog wrote:
I'm curious though jslacker, which LEO agency was this officer with??? Let me take a guess.... NCCPD??
Actually this was one of our boys in blue from troop 2.[/quote]

WOW!!! :o That really surprises me!! I know many of them out of that troop, and they have told me that everyone on the DSP know very well the legalities of OC. If fact, 1 DSP Sgt. told me that he prefers OC to CC, because at least he can see the firearm and is aware of it. Not once has any of them told me about receipts or any other papers required. (other than CDW for CC)

I have always found the DSP to be the best as far as OC...... now the NCCPD, different story!
 #39148  by GatorDude

Was it possible that the LEO here was just being a smartass? You know, just sort of f'in with the guy?
 #39150  by dave_in_delaware

Let's hope so.
 #39173  by stephpd

Maybe it was Dale's favorite police officer.

He did have two run ins with DSP (same guy both times) at Target in the same shopping center.