If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #40800  by dave_in_delaware

I tried going to my local liquor store last week, but there were two cop cars right outside the store, so I figured something happened. THEN, this apparently happened over the weekend (emphasis mine):
Nov 22, 2010: ROBBERY ARRESTS: State police arrested two men Saturday night for allegedly robbing a liquor store for the second time in a few days. Three employees of Valentina Liquors at 403 N. Old Baltimore Pike said they were approached about 9:30 by two knife-wielding robbers, police said. They fled in a 2006 Dodge Stratus. A witness copied the tag number and gave police a description of the car. Police caught up with it on Del. 72 at U.S. 40. Officers arrested Jonathan Hill, 24, and Arik Tkalich, 20. Police said the pair robbed the same store on Nov. 16. Both were committed to Young Correctional Institution on $126,000 cash bail.
So, I wasn't surprised that there were 4 guys inside the store this evening when I stopped by for some liquid refreshments. One guy was "guarding" the front door, letting people in by unlocking the door. The other 3 guys were all up front.

I got what I wanted from the shelves and put it on the counter, and I said "hold on, there are two more things I want" and I went over to the fridge and grabbed a soda, then got a bag of chips from the rack, and brought those items back to the counter. I had noticed the one guy just staring at me.

One of the guys told me what had happened to them over the weekend. He had seen that I was carrying and said "I wish you would have been in here that night" and another guy asked me if I was LE. I, of course, said no. That sparked a 15 minute conversation, including questions, answers, stories, explanations, etc. I told them about DELOC and I actually had a few cards with me (in the car) so I handed them out to everyone. The one "regular" guy who works there mentioned that he's seen me and my wife in there many times before, and also said that the previous owners had once commented that I had a gun, but the guy just said "yup." LOL. So I'd say that they're all just fine with me carrying in their store.

So, it was a very good, positive, friendly encounter tonight. I answered their questions and shared some stories. I think a few of them had their interest in OC sparked a bit. Especially after the events that happened to them over the past week.

Maybe we'll get a few new members, too.
 #40808  by GatorDude

Very nice.

I recommended OC'ing to a gas station owner/attendant last weekend who was afraid of a rash of robberies nearby. Of course, I explained the need to have training, practice, etc. as well as being comfortable with the concept of having, drawing and firing a firearm at another person. He was completely unaware of his right to openly carry a firearm in Delaware and thought there were lots of rules, licenses, permits, etc. He seemed almost relieved that he could carry provided he was otherwise allowed to own a firearm here.
 #40809  by Jeepflexin

dave_in_delaware wrote:
One of the guys told me what had happened to them over the weekend. He had seen that I was carrying and said "I wish you would have been in here that night"
I'm prolly just a dick but I would not have been able to smile and nod to this, I likely would have said "well I'm glad I wasn't", maybe I would have prodded why. Of course I would have expected him to say "so you could have done something". I would have had to been honest and told him he still would have been on his own. Of course had he said "maybe your presence would have discouraged the criminals" I would have been OK with that, I would have countered with "why don't you carry?" in a very matter of fact "surprised" tone. :D

In fact that is my current method of dealing with folks who see me carrying and act surprised or judgmental, I look at them with a surprised and judgmental look of my own and ask "why don't you carry a gun, isn't your personal safety valuable to you?". I figure what is good for the goose is good for the gander. :lol:
 #40810  by Jeepflexin

GatorDude wrote:Very nice.

I recommended OC'ing to a gas station owner/attendant last weekend who was afraid of a rash of robberies nearby. Of course, I explained the need to have training, practice, etc. as well as being comfortable with the concept of having, drawing and firing a firearm at another person. He was completely unaware of his right to openly carry a firearm in Delaware and thought there were lots of rules, licenses, permits, etc. He seemed almost relieved that he could carry provided he was otherwise allowed to own a firearm here.

I like that you are encouraging others to be responsible for their own safety. :applause:
 #40814  by Condition1

Jeepflexin wrote:I'm prolly just a dick but I would not have been able to smile and nod to this, I likely would have said "well I'm glad I wasn't", maybe I would have prodded why. Of course I would have expected him to say "so you could have done something". I would have had to been honest and told him he still would have been on his own. Of course had he said "maybe your presence would have discouraged the criminals" I would have been OK with that, I would have countered with "why don't you carry?" in a very matter of fact "surprised" tone. :D
Hey, hold on I am prolly just a dick too :D
 #40816  by dave_in_delaware

LOL, you guys aren't dicks for thinking that way. All I could do was smile at him after he said that while I was thinking to myself "I'm glad I WASN'T here!" but didn't tell them that. I wasn't going to "get into" a discussion about my duty to get involved, etc. But he did tell me about his gun that he owns, and he was thinking out loud about open carrying it, so who knows? Maybe he will start carrying since he's not a person prohibited.
 #40830  by Jeepflexin

GatorDude wrote:
Jeepflexin wrote:
dave_in_delaware wrote:LOL, you guys aren't dicks for thinking that way.

You are wrong, we are dicks, the thing is that I am OK with that. ;)
After all these years, you should be..... :pointlaugh: :sparring:

A comfort level I had to achieve at a young age, been a dick for a looonng time. :lol: