If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #41213  by Jeepflexin

wwd wrote:
It looked and felt racial, hence the reference. I've seen that type of racial entitlement thing before. Positive? Can't be. But probable.
"Racial entitlement"? Really? Again it is much more likely you just bumped into a piece of crap person. I've met a bunch of crummy people over the years and to date have not been able to link race to a-holes, in fact some of the absolute worse people I have encountered have been those of my own ethnicity (white).

The point being is I seriously doubt race was the root of the problem you had, the root of the problem was a low class person who had a high sense of entitlement.
 #41215  by scottese

I read that he meant that BJ's would not/could not fire her because of fear of a discrimination lawsuit. :? And if the manager ignored the problem, while she continued yelling at a customer, one could only gather that it was that or he had no balls. :o :lol:

I would also agree with Jeep, that there are no shortages of scumbags and a-holes from all races. Some people just have more bad experiences with on race or the other...personally most of my issues are when I have to deal with the Norwegians.

Couth and class seem to be not "cool" anymore. Rude and inconsiderate seems to be the "in" thing these days.
 #41222  by GatorDude

I completely agree with Pete and Scott (except that Norwegian thing). Someone help me.... :banghead:

Anyway, bad customer service is always grounds for a customer service person's termination. Race will not protect them. Whether the manager has other issues (can't find someone else, no time to train, etc.) is a whole other issue altogether.
 #41230  by jslacker

I thought DE was a hire/fire at will state, whereas an employer dosent really need a reason to fire you per se... am I understanding hire/fire at will correctly?
 #41239  by scampbell3

jslacker wrote:I thought DE was a hire/fire at will state, whereas an employer dosent really need a reason to fire you per se... am I understanding hire/fire at will correctly?
Delaware is one of many states that recognize "at-will employment" doctrine. However, the State of Delaware also has what is called the "implied contract exception". This means that the employer cannot terminate an employee if a contract is in place either written or implied. In most non-union companies, the implied contract is in the form of the companies policies manual or employee handbook. At the onset of employment, the newly hired worker has to either read, or go through a short orientation program and then sign a signature page of the handbook and return to the employer where it is kept on file in the employees records. Most company policies detail the reasons and processes for terminations. What are grounds for immediate termination, and how infractions are handled, disciplinary actions take can be taken, and ultimately what will be reasonable grounds for termination. Race, gender, etc do not, and cannot be raised if the employer terminates an employee in line with the policed outlined in the "contract" (employee handbook)

I have hired and fired many, many people over the last 20 years. I have been taken to court (as a representative of the company) for racial discrimination many times. But because I follow the policies to the letter as outlined in the employee's handbook, not one case was ever lost in court.

Chip
 #41257  by bluedog46

"I have hired and fired many, many people over the last 20 years. I have been taken to court (as a representative of the company) for racial discrimination many times. But because I follow the policies to the letter as outlined in the employee's handbook, not one case was ever lost in court.

Chip"

you probably do things right, but remember the saying "there aint a bull that cant be rode or a cowboy that cant be thrown" there is a first time for everything
 #41259  by dave_in_delaware

I have encountered certain people in many stores (including BJ's) that just don't care about their job. It has nothing to do with their mental capacity, as I'm sure (or at least I would hope) that if I needed a job and ended up in BJ's as a cashier, people wouldn't think I'm stupid just because I work there....

Anyway, I think the race card was played in this thread because of the mouthiness of the employee and the reference to a particular show. But that's not the subject of this thread. And hopefully it won't become a heated subject here, because we all know certain ethnic groups do tend to be mouthier in public than others. That's just reality. I've seen it everywhere I go. But at the same time, anyone can shoot off their mouth in public if given the proper feeling of necessity, regardless of their race. So let's make this a moot point in the thread, because it's not the point.

The fact that he had a CCDW enabled him to remove what he felt could be an even bigger problem maker (gun) from the equation. Could the cashier have taken his weapon as a threat, since he told her to do her job? Possibly/probably.

Sometimes we have to know when to fight and when to keep the peace. In this case, I think covering the weapon was a good move given the circumstances.

If it were me though, I wouldn't have had that option to conceal.
 #41264  by scampbell3

bluedog46 wrote:you probably do things right, but remember the saying "there aint a bull that cant be rode or a cowboy that cant be thrown" there is a first time for everything

It may be my years at the senior and executive levels of business, but I fail to see the meaning, or purpose of your idiom in regards to employment practices and law. There are no grey areas, and handing such issues with a cavalier approach will, and does, result in a mess of legal and financial problems for the employer.

Chip
 #41267  by Mr.Skellington

I agree with what Dave has said.

dave_in_delaware wrote:I have encountered certain people in many stores (including BJ's) that just don't care about their job. It has nothing to do with their mental capacity, as I'm sure (or at least I would hope) that if I needed a job and ended up in BJ's as a cashier, people wouldn't think I'm stupid just because I work there....
Since I'm the only one who brought mental functioning into this I'm going to clarify. BJ's employees performed their jobs very poorly and failed in all areas where a small amount of critical thinking was required. I had a very simple problem (thanks to BJ's employees actually :roll: ) and went through layer after layer of BJ employee's with all of them either not understanding the simple problem OR not giving a shat. That is why I switched to Costco when my BJ's membership expired.

I wasn't saying that because your a cashier or shopping-cart fetcher that your the town idiot. I am saying that in an apples to apples comparison of BJ's vs Costco employees... Costco retains the better help.