If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #45642  by Dr. Eastwood

My dipshit dog decided to get loose today. I probably could have corralled him, but I was tied up with my kids and trying to install a new toilet with the help of my father-in-law (PURE EFFING JOY!!). So after dinner I decided to head out and walk the neighborhood looking for him. Armed myself, put on a button down shirt and my sneakers, and headed out. I walked all of the west C-section of Brookside, and was working my way through the east section when, lo and behold, up comes the boy in brown to save the day. Gun drawn, he orders my arms out as he approaches me gun drawn. "Why are you carrying?" he asks, to which I respond "Personal protection sir". "Not for any political activists or anything?" "No sir, just for my own safety." "Have you had any incidents where you felt threatened?", so I relayed to him about the disrespectful and frankly criminal groups who roam the streets in and around Kimberton, and he said "alright", unloaded my revolver and placed it on the hood of his car while I stood in front of it. Long story short, he ran his checks, and of course, I was good to carry, then I got the speech. Some of you know what I'm talking about. That speech where the LEO tells you you can't shoot people for being rude to you, la la la, what constitutes self defense, blah blah, everything someone who open carries should know, that I already had the benefit of knowing myself. I didn't bother arguing or protesting, I simply nodded my head and asked if I was dismissed.

I did get the strange feeling that he was disappointed I didn't protest or try to argue. I personally don't think it's worth arguing with the officer on the street. They're going to do what they're going to do, and forgive me if I offend someone, I think it plays into their "I'm better than the civilian". Whatever, if it happens again, I think I'll take names and ask for their supervisor's contact number.
Last edited by Dr. Eastwood on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #45643  by bluedog46

Not that i would ever suggest it but as bad as some of the nccpd shoot you probably could out draw him. I thought it was illegal to disarm you unless they had resasonable cause to believe you did something wrong?

I have heard that is a pretty bad area at times around brookside.

whenever i see security or a cop like that the phrase "cleadus get the damn donut out of your mouth" comes to mind.
 #45649  by GatorDude

I would suggest filing a formal complaint with the New Castle County Police Department. Your civil rights were violated.

However, I completely agree with how you handled the situation and commend you for it. Great restraint under the circumstances.

At the same time, you should not just let it go. You need to let his superiors know that what he did violated Delaware law and that it should not be tolerated.
 #45652  by Boots

GatorDude wrote:I would suggest filing a formal complaint with the New Castle County Police Department. Your civil rights were violated.

However, I completely agree with how you handled the situation and commend you for it. Great restraint under the circumstances.

At the same time, you should not just let it go. You need to let his superiors know that what he did violated Delaware law and that it should not be tolerated.
:applause: What Dude said! :applause:
 #45653  by astro_wanabe

Dr. Eastwood wrote:Gun drawn, he orders my arms out as he approaches me gun drawn. "Why are you carrying?"
For better or worse, I probably would have ended up saying something to the effect of:
"Because it's my Constitutional right and lawful under Delaware law. I am not resisting however I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person or property. I have nothing further to discuss with you. Am I free to go?"
 #45655  by Dr. Eastwood

Where would I be able to file a formal complaint? About the only good thing to come out of this is the officer was compliment-ive of my side arm.
 #45656  by Boots

Dr. Eastwood wrote:... lo and behold, up comes the boy in brown to save the day. Gun drawn, he orders my arms out as he approaches me gun drawn. "Why are you carrying?" he asks, to which I respond "Personal protection sir". "Not for any political activists or anything?" "No sir, just for my own safety." "Have you had any incidents where you felt threatened?", so I relayed to him about the disrespectful and frankly criminal groups who roam the streets in and around Kimberton, and he said "alright", ....
I've been stopped before and pulled into a conversation, so I have an idea what you mean. Anyway, I now have a better idea as to what to say, or what not say next time. I think you did fine, but to his first question I would have said: "I'm legally exercising my Second Amendment right to bear arms; am I being detained?" Next, it would be "Am I free to go?" or, "Why am I being detained?" I'll be respectful, answer some basic yes/no questions, state my name, address, reason to be about, and destination, but I'll avoid being drawn into a 'fishing expedition' type conversation. You do have the right to remain silent, and the less you say the better.

To his "Have you had any incidents where you felt threatened?" I might have said "Yes, like right now!" :shock:
Dr. Eastwood wrote:... then I got the speech. Some of you know what I'm talking about. That speech where the LEO tells you you can't shoot people for being rude to you, la la la, ....
Really? I must have missed that memo! :roll:
Dr. Eastwood wrote:... I did get the strange feeling that he was disappointed I didn't protest or try to argue. ....
Well, he got the drop on you and then couldn't save the neighborhood by finishing you off. ;) :lol:

Have you seen the videos on this site about Terry Stops and how to interact with the police? Good stuff, and probably time for me to review them myself.

Again... you did fine! And, thanks for the report!
 #45658  by Boots

astro_wanabe wrote:... For better or worse, I probably would have ended up saying something to the effect of:
"Because it's my Constitutional right and lawful under Delaware law. I am not resisting however I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person or property. I have nothing further to discuss with you. Am I free to go?"
The bold part is good, but the 'nothing further' part might be received as confrontational.
 #45661  by Tony T

§ 20. Right to keep and bear arms.

Section 20. A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.
Quote the Delaware Constitution, he should know it as an officer.....
 #45664  by Dr. Eastwood

He was more interested I think in seeing if he could get me as a person prohibited. I don't think there are many people out there who wake up one morning and say "I'm going to strap a gun to my hip for no reason", so his little speech irritated me with its condescending tone.