If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #4679  by dave_in_delaware

Yeah, I've been to the 202 Dick's and checked for signs - none that I saw. Plus, no one jumped me at the entrance to check my gun. :?
 #4685  by JMBare

Interesting..

I frequent Christianna Mall and have a friend who is DSP that frequently works OT on a mall shift and have never thought to ask him how he would handle a similar situation. I will certainly ask him soon.

I still haven't had the balls to OC in an environment like the mall, just mostly around the neighborhood when I walk the dog, or at various friends homes.. Ironically, my habbit of OCing has led to a much higher general comfort around firearms, then when I first moved up here and originally exposed them to the presence of loaded firarms.

I would be interested in hearing security's response to the inquiry of policy.

What many security officers in various malls forget that a true "private" environment is not the same as privately owned public venue and simply stating something as policy doesn't neccesarily make it enforcable..

For example, even though a mall is often misrepresented as "private property", the head of security couldn't decide that it is now policy for them to no longer allow minorities to shop there, as they would be able to , if it were true private property. Once you open up access to your property to general public use, Public Venue applies. This is why the mall needed support from state legislators to begin enforcing the new PGR programs that started this month, where you now have to be 18 or older to be in the mall on the weekends after 5:00pm.

-JMB
 #4697  by Wynder

JMBare wrote:What many security officers in various malls forget that a true "private" environment is not the same as privately owned public venue and simply stating something as policy doesn't neccesarily make it enforcable..

For example, even though a mall is often misrepresented as "private property", the head of security couldn't decide that it is now policy for them to no longer allow minorities to shop there...
This would fall under discrimination and probably isn't the parallel that could be drawn for this scenario; however, I doubt that they would find any legislative resistance, nor do I believe they should, in banning firearms as property owners. They should be allowed to create their own policy and be free to enforce that policy for the people who choose to visit the property -- the only method of "enforcement," though, would be asking a person to leave the mall.

As much as I abhor smoking and enjoy the indoor smoking ban, as a Constitutionalist, I find it repugnant that the government has regulated it. The last thing I want to see is an infringement on the rights of anyone, especially when it comes to property.

That's my take on it, anyhow.
 #4704  by Sprat

Bruce

you are level headed individual so all is fine and you are correct # 2 saved the day. I think its time the Del state police got a copy of the PDF handout on Del. open carry.
at the next meeting ( hopefully there are more then 4 of us) we should passed the hat and print out a couple hundred and send a good amount to the Del state police and the wilmington police & new castle/kent county sheriffs dept. also I believe the FOP has a outdoor BBQ place on the road to kitts Hummock we can drop a sh* t load in the mail box or door

also get the Name, address & President possible e-mail address of the management company for the mall, its time to express our opinions.

sprat
 #4710  by JMBare

Wynder wrote:
JMBare wrote:What many security officers in various malls forget that a true "private" environment is not the same as privately owned public venue and simply stating something as policy doesn't neccesarily make it enforcable..

For example, even though a mall is often misrepresented as "private property", the head of security couldn't decide that it is now policy for them to no longer allow minorities to shop there...
This would fall under discrimination and probably isn't the parallel that could be drawn for this scenario; however, I doubt that they would find any legislative resistance, nor do I believe they should, in banning firearms as property owners. They should be allowed to create their own policy and be free to enforce that policy for the people who choose to visit the property -- the only method of "enforcement," though, would be asking a person to leave the mall.

As much as I abhor smoking and enjoy the indoor smoking ban, as a Constitutionalist, I find it repugnant that the government has regulated it. The last thing I want to see is an infringement on the rights of anyone, especially when it comes to property.

That's my take on it, anyhow.
As a fellow constitutionalist and life long Libertarian here, I will ask you to ponder this…

I agree that Property managers of true Private Properties should have absolute and final say in "Policy" regarding conduct, admission, dress code, ethnicity, race, social standings, religions and other general policies etc. setting guidelines for visitors, while they are on said property.. This would even allow for Policy that is discriminatory in it's nature (regardless of whether or not we feel it is right or wrong), because manager's/proprietors of true private properties have not allowed open, general access to said property. There is some sort of qualifications, whether expressed or implied to those who visit actual private properties. For instance, any person in your home is pretty much going to be a friend/acquaintance, family member, or friend/acquaintance of another friend or family member, etc. You wouldn't allow the general public to aimlessly wander into your home, without some sort of qualifications/reasons. This is what differentiates private property from public venue.

So I agree that race qualifications are not an exact parralell and do represent different subject matter than weapons policies, but the point is, property isn't truly "private", if you make admission open to the general public without any specific qualification, especially if you enjoy the benefits of public safety offices such as the state police, at the exspence of the public. There is case law (I don't have the time to look it up right now) that supports this point.

This is exactly why the mall needed support from the state legislature to enact the PGR program barring children under the age of 18 from being unsupervised in the mall during certain periods, they didn’t simply come up with this policy, they had to ask for and later receive permissions to do so from state legislators, using the democratic process... The state's constitution and supporting legislation takes ultimate precedence over any "Policy" in Public venues that is not specifically supported by state legislation.

This would of course be completely different if there were any sorts of qualifications to admission, such as an official registered membership (even if free) or some other sort of participation in a fellowship, that would allow only those specific members entry to the Mall. THis is also of course observed when specific legislation on specific 'Policy", such as PGR, which puts specific qualifications in place..

Under the periods where PGR are in effect, the mall is no longer technically public venue, as it is no longer open to the general public. There are now specific requirements in place for admission (age being that specific qualification), which are enforced not only by the mall's own security, but also at the expense of taxpayers, via the DSP... Currently, (As far as I know) there is no specific Legislation or public policies in place in Delaware which allows for a public venue, such as the mall, to override the state legislation allowing for open carry.

Think about how many private security officers such as armored car services, that regularly OC, even though a “red card” firearms license is specifically required by most employers to allow for uniformed officers to OC in public, Christianna Mall doesn't bar these folks from entering the mall.

There is of course nothing stopping the mall from lobbying legislators from enacting statewide legislation, permitting these sorts of restrictions in this particular public venue to be applied, however the legislative process would allow for the "public" who utilizes these public venues to be "heard", before these decisions are made(in theory.. LOL) This is of course where we all get moving in a massive effort to resist the enacting of this sort of legislation.

Basically, public venues do not get to have their cake and eat it too.. They do not get to be open for general public admission and therefore benefit from public services such as State Police patrol at the expense of tax payers AND claim to be true private property and arbitrarily enforce thier own "policies", even when contridictive to public policy. (don’t believe me, go ahead and try to get the DSP to post an officer in your living room, just because you think your family could use the extra protection at night!!!) If they were a true private property, security would more than likely be completely at their expense, and they would not be subject to legal liabilities, should the owners/operators of this property decide to begin to arbitrarily deny accessability to whomever they choose(Even if those denials were based on race, disabilities and or other sort of prejuducies).

This BTW is the sort of case law that has allowed for many different "Public" bars and clubs, to restrict certain "Undesirables” from admission.. There are some municipalities in this great union, where establishment owners have begun closing off their public venue status, by requiring memberships (or temporary sponsorships from present members) to enter. In Ohio, there are entire streets worth of Bars and clubs, where the general public may not enter, even though they do not charge any sort of admission.. Basically, you have to be a member of one of the charter associations by applying for membership through a sponsorship of another member in good standing. Even though membership is pretty much a "shall issue" proposition, you have to work through a little bureaucracy to obtain said membership. Typically, "Undesirables" will never bother going though the motions required, and the end result is a “public” bar whose patrons have effectively been filtered through.

Geeeeeeeze, how long have I been writing???

Anyway, I am certainly no lawyer, but I like to pay attention to these sorts of things when they come up for discussion and I have been involved in long debates with friends, family and teachers about why certain “private properties”, such as malls and stores are subject to ethical legislations, on issues like discrimination where home owners are not… Throughout the process of debate, folks have brought pieces of this stuff forward here and there, and when you think about it... It all makes pretty good sense..

-JMB
 #4712  by Wynder

Getting ready for work, so I'll touch on a few of the major points.

The fact that it's opened to the public for shopping only subjects them to certain regulation by the state when it comes to issues of health and safety. However, it is still by and large private property. If the owners woke up one day and said, "I don't think we're going to open up today," yes, they'd catch flack from the store owners, but they could do it.

The police are actually privately hired -- it's how they supplement their income. Law enforcement are paid by the mall; however, the way it works is, when an officer is working, even privately, they still have full powers of arrest, their insurance is still in effect and they still face liability of illegally handling arrests, etc.

As a Constitutionalist, once we allow the government to begin regulating our property in any manner, even the property onto which owners allow the public, you see the erosion of your fundamental rights of ownership in the Union.
 #4715  by stephpd

I believe JMBare is more correct on this. There use to be private golf courses and the laws were change so that they didn't discriminate. Same for the 'old boys' clubs that had the upper management keep out women.

And a few bars have gone private in this state just so they wouldn't loose there smoking patrons.

Even the Boy Scouts had there day not long ago when they refused gays into the group. They ended up being removed from the United Way list because of it.

So private clubs are exempted from the laws sometimes and some times they are forsed to go public.

Stores aren't private, even ones that require membership, like BJ's. Anyone can walk in.

And carrying a gun is a state protected right.

What if stores decided that they didn't like other clothing styles. How can stores open to the public discriminate on what you're wearing?
 #4717  by Wynder

stephpd wrote:And carrying a gun is a state protected right.

What if stores decided that they didn't like other clothing styles. How can stores open to the public discriminate on what you're wearing?
And property ownership rights outweigh your right to keep and bear arms and your freedom of speech. There are several well-known cases where people were prohibited from protesting on the property of a shopping center because it is not public land... In order for you to exercise your rights without restriction (still being within the Constitution of course), you must do it on your property or public property.

Though open to the public, the mall is not public property.

The mall now discriminates based on age -- if you're under 18 and it's the weekend, you're not allowed in. More specific to your example, TargetMaster discriminates based on dress -- no hats of any kind are allowed. Many restaurants prohibit cell phones.

This is their right because its their property and, within the regulations of OSHA, and federal, state and local law governing commerce, they may set any policies they wish and enforce them by giving them the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.
 #4718  by Wynder

Here's something I found that explains it a bit better, yet for a different purpose -- still relevant in my opinion, though.
If you try to access businesses that do not open themselves up to the public, you may be liable for trespass. However, as a member of the public you will be able to access businesses open to the public without fear of liability. Your right of access does not necessarily translate into a right to gather information while you are there. The business has given you consent to use the premises as a patron, and your actions need to be within the scope of that use.

For example, a restaurant consents to your presence for you to enjoy eating a lovely meal in the company of good friends. In this scenario, taking notes about the food, ambiance, and service may be fine, whereas approaching other diners for interviews or for photographs likely oversteps the scope of the restaurant's consent, and you could be liable for trespass. See the Trespass section in this guide for more information. Note that you may only access the areas of the business that are open to the public. Continuing our example, while you can enter a restaurant, you cannot go to the kitchen without additional permission.

Shopping malls have come to occupy a place in modern communities akin to the town square or main street and thus are arguably public, rather than private, in nature. But unlike the traditional public forum of a town square, these establishments are privately owned places of business. Since the Supreme Court's decision in PruneYard Shopping Center v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74 (1980), stating that there is no constitutional right to free speech in a private shopping mall, the law of access to shopping malls has largely been left to the states. State courts vary on the question of whether to allow access to shopping malls. Those that do find them to be public or quasi-public forums still note that owners may impose reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on expression, provided the regulations are content-neutral, narrowly tailored, and leave open sufficient alternative channels of communication.

If you want to go to a shopping mall and gather information, try to avoid disrupting business activities. For example, it would be better to approach people walking in the corridors of the mall, or in the food court, than to station yourself at the door of a store and attempt to talk to everyone entering or exiting.
 #4792  by dave_in_delaware

Wynder wrote:More specific to your example, TargetMaster discriminates based on dress -- no hats of any kind are allowed....
They also prohibit "muscle shirts." I walked in there one day and I had a tank top on. They wouldn't let me in unless I changed into a short-sleeved T-shirt. WTF!!?? So I bought a Sig-Arms shirt they had there (which is the only reason I own that shirt).

AND they discriminate based on your ammo. Loose boxed WWB (100 rounds) is prohibited because "it's dirtier" than the nicely packaged 50-round boxes (despite Winchester informing me that they are, in fact, the SAME EXACT ammo).

:banghead: :kuku:

I F'ing HATE TargetMaster. :evil: :evil: