If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #61144  by Dr. Eastwood

Good situational awareness. I wouldn't have gone in depth explaining to a person why they need to leave me alone, but you got the message across. Of the few times I've had something similar happen a firm "That's close enough please" causes them to pause and reconsider approaching any further.
 #62070  by radnor

Wanted to wait for a while and see what the responses were.... I'll chime in with mine....
I made my own conclusion the day this was posted, then ran this by 2 friends. One is a member here, the 2nd is a judge I've known for a couple of years. The 3 of us have a similar conclusion.

HELL NO! it was NOT a good encounter and NOT handled properly.
I am NOT defending the other guy at all.

To be blunt, the situational awareness in the encounter, sucked.
You should be aware of as much as possible of the events going on around you. Was he wrong, absolutely!
You said one leg in the jeep, if he was a BG - should have taken out the supporting leg (at the knee) and then ... You'd be posting about how someone pistol whipped you with your own gun and took it.

The "drama" in teaching him a lesson... He should have pissed his pants. Memorized YOUR tag number. Then called the police. When you answered the door OCing, you would have confirmed his story. If you were not OCing answering the door, they would have asked you if you were at xxx place and did you have a gun at the time. When you said yes, you would have confirmed his story. His story was, I tried to give his a pamphlet and he THREATENED me WITH a gun! After the trial, you'd be posting about your new friend "Bubba"...

Was he wrong, YES!
What he did, was it STUPID? YES!

Was the encounter and "lesson" handled wrong, YES!
 #62073  by radnor

Bud,

I apologize, I did not leave you with the cookie. Those who teach, know the "Oreo cookie".

Take away from the encounter something positive, use it as a TEACHABLE MOMENT. Think to yourself, what could I have done differently. Learn from it.

Be safe!
Radnor
 #62088  by bluedog46

i mixed on this. Legally you never know how it will go.

Common sense is that he was stupid. You did not draw on him and I think you did nothing wrong personally. If you drew on him it might have been a different story.
 #62092  by radnor

bluedog46 wrote:i mixed on this. Legally you never know how it will go.

Common sense is that he was stupid. You did not draw on him and I think you did nothing wrong personally. If you drew on him it might have been a different story.
He said to the guy, he could be shot AND had on his hip the gun to carry it out. Sorry the OCer became the aggressor at that point.

How much of a threat is a guy with a paper, NONE!
How much of a threat is a guy saying I could get shot WITH a gun on his hip???

I'd personally would have said "I'm not buying or interested in what you selling. Move on".

BD, I'll put you on the spot, define HE in red. PM if you wish.
 #62102  by David

radnor wrote:How much of a threat is a guy with a paper, NONE!
Possibly about as much as a guy in Walmart parking lot asking for a cig.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5913
 #62120  by bluedog46

radnor wrote:
bluedog46 wrote:i mixed on this. Legally you never know how it will go.

He said to the guy, he could be shot AND had on his hip the gun to carry it out. Sorry the OCer became the aggressor at that point.

How much of a threat is a guy with a paper, NONE!
How much of a threat is a guy saying I could get shot WITH a gun on his hip???

I'd personally would have said "I'm not buying or interested in what you selling. Move on".

BD, I'll put you on the spot, define HE in red. PM if you wish.

He is the guy coming up to the ocer like that. You dont just go up to people like that in this day and age.
 #62124  by Mr.Skellington

The issue Radnor is pointing out isn't that there was no potential threat from the guy with the paper pamphlet but that the response given to him should have been handled differently.

Radnor has a point that making a perceived threat while also having the ability to carry out said threat doesn't look good and can lead to problems. He's not saying to not be on your guard or dismiss strangers approaching you, only to be careful about WHAT you say or gesture to them.

Its sound advice for those who value keeping their 2A rights.