If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #66869  by Jonnybow

This story happened about 5 years ago at my home. Thankfully calmer heads prevailed and the ending wasn't tragic.

It was a cool summer Saturday night, it had been raining most of the day and I had the upstairs windows open. I had just got into bed, I think the time was about 11pm.

As I laid in bed, I heard my dogs getting agitated, their barks turned from the typical everyday warning barks to downright angry, snap their teeth, show their gums, nasty barking. I knew something wasn't right. As I got out of bed to arm myself, I heard the metal sound of the gate latch opening and closing. I quickly picked up my Mossberg 500 tactical 12ga.

I could hear footsteps below the upstairs double bay window (remember it is open and it's the kind of window that protrudes beyond the side of the house so I can see below clearly). I make my way to the window and I can see movement outside my house moving toward the door. I can hear the storm door open and it has me very nervous. Very loudly I say "step away from the door" and at the same time I chamber a round into the barrel of the shotgun. Immediately, the person at my door steps back and draws his pistol aiming it directly at me. The same time I see the gun, I identify the person as a State Trooper because the side light from the house shines on the gold stripe of his uniform.

Imagine having a shotgun pointed at you from above and you are a DSP Trooper investigating an armed robbery where your service dog has scent tracked the perp to this house......... How neither of us was shot still amazes me to this day!
We both slowly lowered our weapons and he asked me to come downstairs and identify myself. I walked outside and he explained what he was doing and I told him he was lucky he didn't get shot. he said the same thing to me and everything was OK. Honestly, I look back at this one and thank god/training/something that we were both as calm as we were when this happened.
 #66884  by Jonnybow

Lascivious1 wrote:I'm surprised that your wife is a LEO and he didnt just make a call and talk to you or her?
This was before she and I were married
 #67861  by George

Jonnybow wrote:... Very loudly I say "step away from the door" and at the same time I chamber a round into the barrel of the shotgun. Immediately, the person at my door steps back and draws his pistol aiming it directly at me. ...

chambering a round in a shotgun is a very distintive noise, shotguns are effective in low light situations, drawing a holstered handgun in low light situation when covered by a shotgun is downright foolhardy! IMHO

Imagine having a shotgun pointed at you from above and you are a DSP Trooper investigating an armed robbery where your service dog has scent tracked the perp to this house......... ....
unless I am very much mistaken, a policeman would never knock in this situation (his dog tracked an armed robber to your door) his dog's nose (mistaken or not) would have given him enough evidence for a search warrent and you would have had a whole swat team searving it.
 #68019  by jslacker

:pointlaugh:
Jonnybow wrote:I guess it didn't happen then George.
:troll: