If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #71815  by bluedog46

SugarBoy13 wrote:
Red Alert wrote:How did you dress that day? Where you mad looking? Point is I don't think it's the gun that bother people but merely how the owner looks. If they think someone is crazy looking or somewhat suspicious then yes they will feel uncomfortable and rightfully so. I mean I would. Also, what time of day was it? Guy walking into a pet store near closing OC to purchase 3 dollar fish food? Come on I would have my eye on you as well. I know it's wrong and stereo typing but it's the world we live in today. I mean we all are OC for a reason so why should others feel any different???
Yeah, your probably right Red. I mean, there is no problem questioning someone who comes in the store just before closing for shopping while black and then asking them to leave their skin in the car before returning. It's just the world we live in, right?

As long as the courts continue to recognize that the government can force private property owners to serve someone regardless of race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, etc. without discrimination, then the courts should also recognize one's civil right to carry a firearm and be free from discrimination in those same establishments. You can't have it both ways...

A property owner should have the right to refuse anyone for any reason they choose. Unfortunately, our government no longer recognizes our right to do as we please on our property and feels compelled to tell us what we can and can not do...
Very good sugarboy. I see reds point as to why people might do that, but I always figure that someone not being comfortable with something legal should not trump my right to do it.

I was thinking about what red said when I had my issue at rite aid and Christiana hostpital. I know some members have carried there and not had issue. Now in all fairness there are members here people are more likely to assume are law enforcement than others. I dont think many people would make me for a cop. I often hear bodyguard or maybe bounty hunter, but I guess it comes down to perception of people.
 #71823  by Bullpup

Lascivious1 wrote:one of the staff "i guess a manager" asked me to put my firearms in my trunk and mentioned she just asked the guy walking by us to do the same and he did.
I was the guy walking by you! I was there with my wife and kids to buy pet supplies, and my wife and I both noticed your gun as we were walking in. She also noticed the cashier that talked to you (chubby girl with the long dark hair) staring at me as we walked in.

The cashier who spoke to you was not the one who talked to me. I was confronted by an older woman who spoke with an obvious sense of authority, so I assumed she was a manager. She said "Sir, I'm sure you probably have a permit for that (pointing to my gun), but we don't allow guns in the store". There was no sign stating this at the door.

I had one of my boys with me, and my wife and my other son were across the store looking at the kittens. I took my son out to the car, locked up my gun, then went back in to get my wife and told her it was time to go. She said she hadn't gotten what we came for. So I turned to show her my empty holster and said "We won't be buying anything here today". I waved good-bye to the cashiers as we left and told them to have a nice day.

Was thinking of emailing the PetSmart corporate office to clarify their policy on firearms.
 #71824  by Bullpup

Red Alert wrote:How did you dress that day? Where you mad looking? Point is I don't think it's the gun that bother people but merely how the owner looks. If they think someone is crazy looking or somewhat suspicious then yes they will feel uncomfortable and rightfully so. I mean I would. Also, what time of day was it? Guy walking into a pet store near closing OC to purchase 3 dollar fish food? Come on I would have my eye on you as well. I know it's wrong and stereo typing but it's the world we live in today. I mean we all are OC for a reason so why should others feel any different???
I was wearing denim shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers. Don't think I looked threatening, but I probably didn't look like a cop that day, even with my short cropped hair. It was about 2:30 pm and I had my wife and two small children with me.

This was the first time I had a negative encounter while carrying.
 #71839  by Lascivious1

Bullpup wrote:
I was wearing denim shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers. Don't think I looked threatening, but I probably didn't look like a cop that day, even with my short cropped hair. It was about 2:30 pm and I had my wife and two small children with me.

This was the first time I had a negative encounter while carrying.
yes, i saw you. i was wondering if you were a deloc person. you looked normal to me. as for me i believe i was just wearing a pair of shorts and a tshirt. i would say she got me casue i have long hair. but your short cut. so maybe shes just hates guns.
i was going to email. but i cant find an actual email to corporate just to their website. theres a phone number for corporate. but i cant stand being on the phone and i can bet hold long it would take with that number to get anyone on the phone to talk to about it.
but if you do talk to someone get a direct number and ill call too!
 #71841  by myopicvisionary

My mistake, the store I go to is PetCo!
 #71851  by Bullpup

photog wrote:Usually, calling the corporate HQ or asking the store management for their policy is a good way to get them to make some sort of policy against firearms in their stores. The better idea is to continue to carry in there and leave if asked. I would imagine since we both have carried in there many times without incident, it was just one employee, or perhaps a customer said something to an employee.

Next time that SigGirl and I go there, I will post in my OC log of the outcome. Carry on and be safe....
I really wanted to contact their HQ, but I'm having second thoughts now.

If I was to go back there and OC again, say this weekend, after being asked not to only a week ago, would I be breaking the law? Would I be guilty of trespassing?

Later that day I went to Pet Kare in Pencader Plaza near BJ's and OC'd without incident. Felt better spending my money there instead of PetSmart.
 #71852  by Bullpup

Lascivious1 wrote:you looked normal to me.
Thanks!
 #71865  by bluedog46

Bullpup wrote:
photog wrote:Usually, calling the corporate HQ or asking the store management for their policy is a good way to get them to make some sort of policy against firearms in their stores. The better idea is to continue to carry in there and leave if asked. I would imagine since we both have carried in there many times without incident, it was just one employee, or perhaps a customer said something to an employee.

Next time that SigGirl and I go there, I will post in my OC log of the outcome. Carry on and be safe....
I really wanted to contact their HQ, but I'm having second thoughts now.

If I was to go back there and OC again, say this weekend, after being asked not to only a week ago, would I be breaking the law? Would I be guilty of trespassing?

Later that day I went to Pet Kare in Pencader Plaza near BJ's and OC'd without incident. Felt better spending my money there instead of PetSmart.
I believe they have to ask you each time. I think if you did it everyday there probably could be some nusiance thing the cops might say, but I dont believe you are breaking the law.

Also as an fyi, The concord pets in Community plaza is very OC friendly. I have ocd there many times and spoke with the owner/ manger ( older gentlemen) and he was fine with it. Did ask me a few questions like do you need a permit and so forth. He mentioned wanting to buy a gun so I gave him a buddys ffl card and one of Omega's cards for training.