If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #419  by dave_in_delaware

Well, I'm just now home from my first LEO encounter. Outcome?

VERY good (despite some "issues" and blatant speeding on my part)... :oops:

I was heading through town on my way to my fiancee's house. I took the dogleg there on Route 13 south (going under the train station), came up on a slow(er) driving black SUV, passed him on the right, and then sped up a little to get back in the left lane. Well, shame on me - it was an unmarked cop vehicle! :shock:

He puts his lights on (no siren), and I start pooping my underwear. I was just getting onto the bridge, so I figure I'll pull off into the by-the-hour hotel there (near the Gold Club). I pull over, put the van in park (engine still running), and put my window down. I secretly make sure my gun is unhidden on my passenger seat. Now, I'm thinking oh great - a speeding ticket AND a trip downdown for having a weapon!

He came to the window and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I of course had no idea. He informed me that I was going pretty fast since he was doing 40 and the speed limit on that road was 35 (say what?). Well, I apparently stopped/parked in the the right lighting (or actually, LACK of lighting), because he did NOT even see my weapon resting on the seat!

:pbjtime:

Which is good, since I leaned over multiple times to get stuff out of my glove box. It turns out that I have a messed up registration card (wrong owner's name, and wrong VIN! - long story, but thanks goes to the stupid DMV!). He questioned me where I got the van and the tags, and wondered how I ended up w/ that sort of registration card info. I told him where I bought the van, and that the dealer got my plates for me, but I couldn't explain the registration.

So, thinking he's in his SUV writing up the ticket, I was surprised when he came back w/ my dl/ins/reg and told me to "slow down and get that registration figured out." I thanked him and he went on his way.

I think a few things "saved" me from a ticket:

- He wasn't clocking me
- He admitted that he was going 40 when I passed him (in a 35 zone!)
- He never saw my gun
- I was polite (but not overly polite)
- I was honest and calm about my registration issue.
- It was nighttime, and he probably had other stuff to do

So, that was my first LEO encounter, and it was just fine by me! (Although technically it doesn't count, since he never saw a weapon)....