If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #89071  by pick_six

Just curious:

There seem to be SOME police folks that take non 2a friendly and possibly illegal stances.

Are there any lawyers that work 2a claims, on a free / reduced cost basis to further the pro 2a rights cases?

It seems the only thing the non friendly establishment folks understand it a lawsuit that hits them in the wallet.

Just curious. Don't mean to jack. Had the officer "seen fit" to placate a citizen frightened by a law abiding citizen exercising his rights, what would be done? Folks can talk about taking action, but the cost for a single person to fight a government, even a small one like Wyoming DE could be personally prohibitive.
 #89077  by Andino

Brandon, did you catch the officers name? I know the entire Camden force and can think of two officers that would say something. The rest are pretty easy going and respect our rights. I also know the entire Wyoming force (3 officers) and know that two of them would definitely say something of that nature. Let me know and I'll have a chat with him. I'm new to this forum but pretty well respected by all of my local LE whether municipal or state.

Thanks.
 #89094  by stephpd

Brandon wrote:By the way if a cop ever does pull me aside and unlike the one today who didn't ask my name or anything does ask for Id I plan to give it to him just to keep the peace and I plan to be respectful to that officer untill he disrespects me. Idk what your guys thoughts on that would be.
You do realize that you are under no obligation to provide any 'papers' ID while walking about. There are limitations on what they can legally ask for, a drivers license or other form of ID not required. But if you want to relinquish your rights for a matter of expediency it's your choice, not his.

In my mind, if they ask for ID they've already shown disrespect for the law and me as a free person. But that's me.
 #89142  by Brandon

Andino wrote:Brandon, did you catch the officers name? I know the entire Camden force and can think of two officers that would say something. The rest are pretty easy going and respect our rights. I also know the entire Wyoming force (3 officers) and know that two of them would definitely say something of that nature. Let me know and I'll have a chat with him. I'm new to this forum but pretty well respected by all of my local LE whether municipal or state.

Thanks.
I am not 100% sure what his name was when I explained him to my brother he said officer willy??? Not sure there was only two officers that I saw out there both Camden police and he was
Not rude at all. Infact I was suprised I have been carrying for a long time now and it was the first officer to ever say anything to me..
 #89144  by Brandon

stephpd wrote:
Brandon wrote:By the way if a cop ever does pull me aside and unlike the one today who didn't ask my name or anything does ask for Id I plan to give it to him just to keep the peace and I plan to be respectful to that officer untill he disrespects me. Idk what your guys thoughts on that would be.
You do realize that you are under no obligation to provide any 'papers' ID while walking about. There are limitations on what they can legally ask for, a drivers license or other form of ID not required. But if you want to relinquish your rights for a matter of expediency it's your choice, not his.

In my mind, if they ask for ID they've already shown disrespect for the law and me as a free person. But that's me.
Yeah I just have seen some videos online and feel like alot of people give open carrying a bad name and I don't think people can disagree with that.
 #89184  by stephpd

Brandon wrote: Yeah I just have seen some videos online and feel like alot of people give open carrying a bad name and I don't think people can disagree with that.
Yes, I can disagree with that. It's a matter of rights verses conforming. People aren't use to seeing folks stand up for their rights. Far too often they'll relinquish their rights for expediency. That somehow what the police say, even though unlawful, is worth more then defending your rights.

Like asking for a drivers license though you're not driving. Or them asking to search your car, because if they had probable cause they wouldn't need your permission. (surrendering your rights) BY giving them permission you relinquished your 4A right to an unreasonable search and seizure.

To most folks, accustomed to doing what the police tell them, even if unlawful, that may seem belligerent. But it's your right to stand up for your rights. I will not be shamed or bullied into surrendering one inch of my rights.

If that gives me and OC a bad name so be it. Just understand that most people aren't accustomed to OC. They feel that you shouldn't do that. As such, by exercising your right to OC you've already given OC a bad name in some peoples mind. Now, you can either conform and give up your right to OC or stand up for your right. Your choice.

If all this is bad for OC and the gun people then explain this. Why is it that not one state has recently banned OC? And why have some states passed OC as legal where it was illegal before? How are expanding rights to more people a bad thing?

It wasn't from being ashamed and hiding (concealing) your gun. No state expanded open carry laws by more folks getting a concealed carry license.

But by standing up for their rights (and looking bad) in states where it's legal it's also expanded this right to other states too.
Last edited by stephpd on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #89185  by Trapper

stephpd wrote:
Brandon wrote: Yeah I just have seen some videos online and feel like alot of people give open carrying a bad name and I don't think people can disagree with that.
Yes, I can disagree with that. It's a matter of rights verses conforming. People aren't use to seeing folks stand up for their rights. Far too often they'll relinquish their rights for expediency. That somehow what the police say, even though unlawful, is worth more then defending your rights.

Like asking for a drivers license though you're not driving. Or them asking to search your car, because if they had probable cause they wouldn't need your permission. (surrendering your rights) BY giving them permission you relinquished your 4A right to an unreasonable search and seizure.

To most folks, accustomed to doing what the police tell them, even if unlawful, that may seem belligerent. But it's your right to stand up for your rights. I will not be shamed or bullied into surrendering one inch of my rights.

If that gives me and OC a bad name so be it. Just understand that most people aren't accustomed to OC. They feel that you shouldn't do that. As such, by exercising your right to OC you've already given OC a bad name in some peoples mind. Now, you can either conform and give up your right to OC or stand up for your right. Your choice.

If all this is bad for OC and the gun people then explain this. Why is it that not one state has recently banned OC? And why have some states passed OC as legal where it was illegal before? How are expanding rights to more people a bad thing?

It wasn't from being ashamed and hiding (concealing) your gun. No state expanded open carry laws by more folks getting a concealed carry license.
:applause: :applause:

What you allow, you encourage!
 #89190  by stephpd

By the same token. We all are riding the backs of those in this that had the misfortune of being the example in this state. We get harassed less because people like Dale and Matt had to endure an illegal detention by unruly police in both the state and city police. Forgive me if I forgot others that also got detained and harassed by police throughout the state.

If not for them 'giving OC a bad name' you and I might also be harassed more frequently.
They may not have felt like it at the time but these guys are our heroes.
When it came down to it they stood up for our rights. Stuffed and cuffed, hauled off by 'the man' and made to look like bad people to those that saw the incidents.

You think they ever got an apology from the jack booted thugs violating their rights and making them look bad? I doubt it.

They had to get lawyers and fight for their rights in court to get the police's attention.
Last edited by stephpd on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.