If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #89203  by Chizult

cj45lc wrote:
myopicvisionary wrote:Excellent posting!

+1 that's great stephpd
+2

Reading the OP made me a little disgusted. No offense Brandon, I'm a polite and courteous person and likely would have handled it the same way you did up until the point he mentioned asking me to leave. The disgusting part is that he is a) ignorant of the law, b) thinks he can bully you into the result he desires, or c) both of the above. Being informed of the law and passing that information along to LE you encounter (after they prove themselves to be ignorant) is yet another responsibility that I feel must be taken on by someone OCing. Kowtowing to ignorant LE only reinforces and encourages them.
 #89204  by stephpd

That's why you'll see those folks on video asking;
"Am I being detained?"
"Am I free to leave (go)?" (This interrogation, not necessarily the festival on public property.)

They'll often repeat these phrases because being detained is a legal stance. You'll see in some of those video's the police don't like folks questioning their authority. Yet the police know that there are limits to this authority. If you're not being detained then they aren't about to arrest you. Thus they are limited in what they can legally do. So, by asking 'Am I free to leave?' your ending their interrogation without being insulting.

There have been other video's done, by lawyers, suggesting this exact response. More they were done for folks that may have had illegal drugs in the car and not submitting to an illegal search and seizure.

But that advice also pertains to any time police start getting past just a conversation and start interrogating you. You can't be insulting, but cooperation in getting yourself arrested by giving them to much information is against the 5A.

That's when you'll often see the cop asking if they are a lawyer, because they know they've crossed the line yet still can't stop themselves. Hoping you don't know or aren't willing to stand up for your rights.

That's they game they (the police) play. And some of the best free legal advice you can get. They are hoping you'll just give up and let them abuse their authority, with your consent. They need that consent and they know it. Those phrases given at the top are to stop the runaround the Constitution and the laws. If they answer that your not being detained and are free to go the interrogation is over. And until you get an answer like that you can't just walk away.

Do it wrong and you could find yourself proned out eating concrete.
 #89435  by Brandon

stephpd wrote:
Brandon wrote: Yeah I just have seen some videos online and feel like alot of people give open carrying a bad name and I don't think people can disagree with that.
Yes, I can disagree with that. It's a matter of rights verses conforming. People aren't use to seeing folks stand up for their rights. Far too often they'll relinquish their rights for expediency. That somehow what the police say, even though unlawful, is worth more then defending your rights.

Like asking for a drivers license though you're not driving. Or them asking to search your car, because if they had probable cause they wouldn't need your permission. (surrendering your rights) BY giving them permission you relinquished your 4A right to an unreasonable search and seizure.

To most folks, accustomed to doing what the police tell them, even if unlawful, that may seem belligerent. But it's your right to stand up for your rights. I will not be shamed or bullied into surrendering one inch of my rights.

If that gives me and OC a bad name so be it. Just understand that most people aren't accustomed to OC. They feel that you shouldn't do that. As such, by exercising your right to OC you've already given OC a bad name in some peoples mind. Now, you can either conform and give up your right to OC or stand up for your right. Your choice.

If all this is bad for OC and the gun people then explain this. Why is it that not one state has recently banned OC? And why have some states passed OC as legal where it was illegal before? How are expanding rights to more people a bad thing?

It wasn't from being ashamed and hiding (concealing) your gun. No state expanded open carry laws by more folks getting a concealed carry license.

But by standing up for their rights (and looking bad) in states where it's legal it's also expanded this right to other states too.
You guys are all taking what I said the complete wrong way. People do give open carrying a
Bad name like that police officer that stopped me and told me I would have to leave if he asked... He was giving open carrying a bad name... Or when someone refuses to give Id they aren't giving open carrying a bad name the police officer who is asking is because he is treating that person like a criminal. I agree exactly with what you just said I would choose to give my Id if asked because if I was arrested illegally or if the officer does violate my rights I don't have the money to go out and throw on a lawyer... So unless one of you guys wanna pay for my lawyer IF for some reason something did Happen than I think I might just go ahead and unlike some people... Listen to what the officer has to say and be respectful and wether he is respectful or not Just try and keep my cool.
 #89938  by Andino

Brandon wrote:
Andino wrote:Brandon, did you catch the officers name? I know the entire Camden force and can think of two officers that would say something. The rest are pretty easy going and respect our rights. I also know the entire Wyoming force (3 officers) and know that two of them would definitely say something of that nature. Let me know and I'll have a chat with him. I'm new to this forum but pretty well respected by all of my local LE whether municipal or state.

Thanks.
I am not 100% sure what his name was when I explained him to my brother he said officer willy??? Not sure there was only two officers that I saw out there both Camden police and he was
Not rude at all. Infact I was suprised I have been carrying for a long time now and it was the first officer to ever say anything to me..

Willey is a Wyoming Police officer. He's the officer in charge of the department, not sure if he has the title of Chief though. Was it a black uniform or blue? That's the easiest way to distinguish between Camden and Wyoming officers.