If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #98789  by myopicvisionary

Right
 #98800  by Kuntryboy816

I for one don't think you over-reacted at all. My choice of words may not have been the same but you never know in the heat of the moment. Your response was a gut-check instinctual reaction which is a good thing. You NEVER know what someone's intention is and all you can do is anticipate and/or react! REaction (after the fact) can wind up with you hurt or dead. You may be incorrect in your threat assessment of the danger either way but I'd rather be wrong and alive than apathetic and dead! Isn't this why we carry?...anticipating that a threat may happen at any moment? When a threat presents itself, are you going to have a crisis of conscience at that moment?

Myop is 110% absolutely correct on Cabelas not being a safe enviroment regarding firearms! For example, they sell Mosins there that are accessible to EVERYONE! Four aisles down on an endcap they had about 2,000 rounds of 7.62x54r ammo on an end cap. Takes about 5 seconds to load the magazine and chamber a round... less if you only load 1 round per shot! What's stopping anyone from picking up a box or two of ammo and walking over to the rack of long guns?
 #98801  by pick_six

your last paragraph does, in fact, make the case the gun grabbers make.

what would stop someone from grabbing a few rounds and loading? from mr. bloomberg, and a host of others, the answer is obvious. nothing is stopping anyone.

lets face it. if you wanted to start trouble, put a loaded standard 1911 mag in your pocket and then ask to see a pistol from the locked display case.

or better yet, whats to keep john q public, OPEN CARRYING a pistol on their hip from going all Santa Barbara? absolutely nothing. or at least the same as the mosin example guy you make.

it is the same question, and answer. crazy people will do what crazy people will do.
Kuntryboy816 wrote:I for one don't think you over-reacted at all. My choice of words may not have been the same but you never know in the heat of the moment. Your response was a gut-check instinctual reaction which is a good thing. You NEVER know what someone's intention is and all you can do is anticipate and/or react! REaction (after the fact) can wind up with you hurt or dead. You may be incorrect in your threat assessment of the danger either way but I'd rather be wrong and alive than apathetic and dead! Isn't this why we carry?...anticipating that a threat may happen at any moment? When a threat presents itself, are you going to have a crisis of conscience at that moment?

Myop is 110% absolutely correct on Cabelas not being a safe enviroment regarding firearms! For example, they sell Mosins there that are accessible to EVERYONE! Four aisles down on an endcap they had about 2,000 rounds of 7.62x54r ammo on an end cap. Takes about 5 seconds to load the magazine and chamber a round... less if you only load 1 round per shot! What's stopping anyone from picking up a box or two of ammo and walking over to the rack of long guns?
 #98804  by Pjd832

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Myop is 110% absolutely correct on Cabelas not being a safe enviroment regarding firearms! For example, they sell Mosins there that are accessible to EVERYONE! Four aisles down on an endcap they had about 2,000 rounds of 7.62x54r ammo on an end cap. Takes about 5 seconds to load the magazine and chamber a round... less if you only load 1 round per shot! What's stopping anyone from picking up a box or two of ammo and walking over to the rack of long guns?
The same can be said for x ring....target master....dicks and any other shop I've seen ....they all have 2 of the 3 components simply waiting for a sick person with ill intentions.....
 #99356  by photog

This thread has been edited to remove an indecent post indicating possible violence toward another member. Civil conversation and polite debate is one thing. The threat of violent behavior is another which WILL NOT BE TOLERATED on this forum. Any further infraction, the offender (or offenders) will be permanently banned from this group.
 #99357  by myopicvisionary

Thanks, Photog
 #99384  by Kuntryboy816

I'd say my example lends more weight to the pro-gun / pro-carry crowd. Because the potential for someone to have access to unsupervised firearms and ammo, we should have the means to protect ourselves all the more!
 #99419  by schmenge

I was in Cabelas this morning. There were trigger locks on all the used shootin' irons.
 #99426  by myopicvisionary

That's new!
 #99432  by schmenge

It was a good move on their part. They must be reading the forum.