If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #100563  by Dugan

Saturday we went to a local wheeling event at a farm with my best friends truck we built. This place attracts all sorts of people, meth heads, cranksters, etc.

Well one of the people that normally attends these events had problems with a few people poking fun at him on FB. (Everyone in the wheeling community BSs with each other, its part of the fun!)

Last time it happened this guy threatened my life multiple times on fb (and i have screen shots).

Well we get to this farm on sat morning, offload the truck and head over where everyone is and start seeing how everyones mornings going. But, this guy, is over working on his truck he already broke. Well I guess he saw us laughing and having a good time and comes running over.

Me being aware without letting others know I see him coming from the corner of my eye with a hammer and a drift pin wrench. He gets close enough to kiss me and is screaming at me things I couldnt even comprehend. Rips my shirt with the hammer and has the drift pin in other hand. He raised the hammer before he dropped it and during this time I had pulled my knife and held it behind my back semi opened.

His wife, seeing this, now runs between us and tries to break it up. Of course he now tries to push through her. Mean while i was keeping composure waiting to react, sort of laughing at the situation in front of him.

After his wife says I have a knife he backs off and picks back up his weapons.

Truly, the way this guy came at me if i had been carrying it would have been premise, at least in DE, to possibly stop him in his tracks.

I was not going to act with the knife unless my life depended on it. And a swinging hammer toward my head and drift pin toward my body, to me, would have been enough. (even though jersey might not see fit, Id have to die and come back before id be allowed to ever do that)

Edit: this is a 50 year old man who use to live with my uncle (who died of a heroine OD).
 #100565  by Owen

I'm glad you weren't hurt. Good job keeping your cool! :applause:
 #100573  by Kuntryboy816

Should've started video and handed the camera off to a friend. Glad you didn't have to go any further than you did. I think he would've hit the dirt the minute that hammer ripped through my clothing though.
 #100576  by Dugan

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Should've started video and handed the camera off to a friend. Glad you didn't have to go any further than you did. I think he would've hit the dirt the minute that hammer ripped through my clothing though.
Edit: There is only 2 quarter sized holes at the bottom of my shirt from where the hammer some how got tangled in my shirt.

Yea I really thought about it, but i dont need to go to jail for the day and get that on my record.

Remember this is NJ, there is no self defense statute. I truly think that if he hit me with the hammer and I had to use my protection I would still have gone to jail. I was just hoping as a scare tactic, and it worked.

He wouldn't have even been worth it. (Wow im growing up, 2-3 years ago I would have been down to scrap)
 #100583  by TexasJay

Pretty much regardless of where you are in this country, if you use a knife for self defense, you will get put through the ringer (arrested, taken to jail etc.). You may end up winning in the end legally but you won't be walking away from it without needing a lawyer. People and cops are used (in most parts of the country) seeing people use firearms for self defense. If someone comes at you with a hammer in NJ in your house and you legally use a firearm for protection you'd be hard pressed to find a DA who would want to tempt his luck, especially with recent SCOTUS decisions. A knife however is much more personal and generally not used for self defense. I've yet to find a case where it was. If someone knows of a case, please post a link.
 #100584  by Dugan

TexasJay wrote:Pretty much regardless of where you are in this country, if you use a knife for self defense, you will get put through the ringer (arrested, taken to jail etc.). You may end up winning in the end legally but you won't be walking away from it without needing a lawyer. People and cops are used (in most parts of the country) seeing people use firearms for self defense. If someone comes at you with a hammer in NJ in your house and you legally use a firearm for protection you'd be hard pressed to find a DA who would want to tempt his luck, especially with recent SCOTUS decisions. A knife however is much more personal and generally not used for self defense. I've yet to find a case where it was. If someone knows of a case, please post a link.
I agree, Its a Kobalt 3 in one, knife, razor blade, wood cutting blade. Something I use for around the house and anywhere I go. Trust me all that was running through my head when it was happening.

Like my gf said, better that nothing happened, you have more to lose than he ever will and your the victim in this.