Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #106586  by BULLBOYKENNELS

Travel from DE to NY State and back.

I have to travel this week coming up to Elmira, NY to pick up my daughter from her collage break for the holidays. And wanted peoples input on traveling to NY and back. Granted my CCDW license does not cover NY at all.

I do know that my pistol must be locked up in the trunk,. but wanted to know if it's okay to travel to NY to pick her up & then come back on a round trip. Or is it only that I can travel through NY without making any stops at all.
 #106589  by Tonygoldston

If asking about federal transport law you can't really stop except for travel through. Gas or bathroom stops are fine. As soon as you stop for something in the state you fall under state law. So when you are picking up in NY you must be legal in NY.
Which IMHO means leave guns at home.
 #106590  by Kuntryboy816

IANAL and it's been a while since I've looked up the federal transport law but I thought it covered interstate transport with reasonable allowances to stop for fuel, food, etc. Then again this is NY we're talking about so I'd be very, VERY careful and do some intensive research before your trip.

Good starting point: http://www.handgunlaw.us/
 #106592  by BULLBOYKENNELS

Well after some checking & speaking with the NY State Troopers. I will not be able to carry in NY without having a NY permit. For my travel to NY & back home.

Thanks to everyone for your input & info on this matter.
 #106735  by TexasJay

BULLBOYKENNELS wrote:Well after some checking & speaking with the NY State Troopers. I will not be able to carry in NY without having a NY permit. For my travel to NY & back home.

Thanks to everyone for your input & info on this matter.
I wouldn't trust ANTYTHING a cop says about the law regarding guns. Most are uninformed and coming from NY they probably don't believe you should have a gun and would lie if it was legal for you to bring it (this is purely opinion). I'd check with an attorney.
 #106747  by Boots

For what it's worth, in this case the NY troopers were right.

The FOPA would cover passing through hostile territory when that is necessary, but does not cover going into and then returning from hostile territory. IOW, if your destination is on the other side of the hostile territory, follow the FOPA. If even one of your destinations is inside the hostile territory, then forget FOPA and follow the specific State rules regarding firearms. For States like MD, NJ, and NY, for example, leave your guns at home.