Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #108857  by airman1968

Looking a a good OWB holster for FNS9. Can I get some input?
 #108859  by whatevah

Blackhawk Serpa is the go-to holster for most people looking to open carry. I have one for my Beretta and it's awesome. Zero issues using it in IDPA, although some training schools ban those holsters since they'll jam if you get them really dirty. I went with a Bianchi for my 1911 for a little more class, but they only carry the pricier duty holsters for the FNS.
 #108866  by dave_in_delaware

I personally use a Blackhawk SERPA. Fast draw. Secure. Affordable. And they have great customer service.
 #108868  by astro_wanabe

The SERPA does have a strong following but can bite you more easily than others if you let it (curling the trigger finger while pressing the release button can lead to a NG). Some training schools have banned it for this reason. They also don't work with lights / lasers unless you buy their own models. Personally I started with a SERPA but when I moved to a G19 with a light I switched to a Safariland ALS + GLS holster. This gives me a cover over the release button for a little extra security but the draw is still a fast fluid motion that doesn't involve the trigger finger pressing inwards.
 #108870  by Boots

astro_wanabe wrote:The SERPA does have a strong following but can bite you more easily than others if you let it (curling the trigger finger while pressing the release button can lead to a NG). ....
"... if you let it ...."
Just don't let it; follow the instructions! ;)

I've tried to duplicate that, with an unloaded gun, but my curved finger merely comes down on the slide. To hook into the trigger is not easy and you actually have to try doing that. Fortunately, my Sig would not likely discharge even if that were to happen. :)

ANYTHING can be misused and cause problems, some more seriously than others, but any ND when using the Serpa would be the negligence of the operator, not the holster.
 #108873  by astro_wanabe

I believe the risk varies some with model as it seems some models have the release button lower on the slide closer to the trigger. The failure usually happens under stress when the user pulls upwards on the gun before fully depressing the release button. This locks up the holster and requires more and more pressure on the release button to get the gun out, leading the user to curl their finger and push hard on the button. When the holster finally releases the finger will keep pushing inwards for a split second before you realize it's released, and the force built up trying to push the button can be enough to pull the trigger. I've been able to recreate this several times when drawing on a timer. It's a design that's great on paper but has real world risks that other holsters simply don't.
 #108875  by rosco87

I use the Blackhawk serpa holster for my Glock 23. I love it, ad have never had an issue with it. yes it will jam up if you pull before its fully depressed and if you are rolling around in the dirt with it on. that being said you should just put it on and go you would have to get it and practice practice practice your draw. I have never had my finger end up on the trigger it always slides right out and lands on the slide.
my IWB for when I want to CC is an AlienGear holster and once again no issues with it either. it does take some time messing with it to find out what angle and what position of the body it fits the best but other than that I love it!
 #108878  by airman1968

Thank all of you who responded to my OWB holster question. I appreciate all the info.
 #108886  by Owen

Another Safariland ALS user here. I liked the Serpas until I found that the drawstring on my one coats would get caught in the release.