Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #109173  by Chizult

I think there was a thread tracking a possible state bill that would legalize suppressors in the state, but I can't seen to find it. With the HPA of 2017 getting some legs and other states (even Illinois) considering opening it up, it seems we should be pushing this here at home while we might have some momentum. I know we're still a Dem state, but if the federal bill passes I'm going to cry myself to sleep at night if the only thing stopping me from over-the-counter suppressors is state law.
 #109175  by brich2929

Contact your reps-get a draft bill going. Anthony Delcollo is a good one to call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #109177  by astro_wanabe

I haven't personally seen much of anything in this state yet but have been talking it up to anyone that will listen. The ASA is currently putting a lot of effort into the HPA for obvious reasons, and is also pushing in Illinois since they actually have something moving forward. The ASA has made statements though that after the HPA they are not going to forget the states with bans and want to push for 50 state legality. Locally I'm getting the impression it may be a year or two before they can shift significant resources to helping us. We should work with state-level organizations to at least lay the ground work and start building a coalition of political influencers to help push when it's "our turn". I just don't really know where to personally start.
 #109183  by MrCoolDale

astro_wanabe wrote:I just don't really know where to personally start.
I actually emailed the American Suppressor Association about this earlier today. I'll let you know what I get in response.
 #109206  by Chizult

For some reason I was able to find the old thread on the first search this evening:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10386&hilit=silencer&start=10

I honestly thought a little more had been done in this state (not that I'm ripping people for not attempting more). That means it may be a fresh idea to some ears in our legislature.

Despite being north of the canal, I actually do have a Republican Rep and Senator. I'll wait to hear the response from the ASA before contacting them. Are any of the downstate republicans particularly 2A friendly?

The ASA website has the number of states that allow suppressors up to 42. Delaware is definitely the most "purple" of those states aside from Illinois. This is something we should be pushing for right now. We have to believe it is attainable.
 #109207  by Chizult

Just another quick note after reviewing the ASA page. SB206, the Illinois suppressor bill, passed into the Senate through committee last week. We should definitely be keeping an eye on this. It has to clear a 39-20 (Dem to Rep) Senate with 36 votes. Sounds bad, but it's lead sponsor is a downstate Dem and it has pretty decent bipartisan support.

This has been accomplished recently in bluer states than ours. Illinois has a chance, as do we.
 #109209  by brich2929

Chizult wrote:Just another quick note after reviewing the ASA page. SB206, the Illinois suppressor bill, passed into the Senate through committee last week. We should definitely be keeping an eye on this. It has to clear a 39-20 (Dem to Rep) Senate with 36 votes. Sounds bad, but it's lead sponsor is a downstate Dem and it has pretty decent bipartisan support.

This has been accomplished recently in bluer states than ours. Illinois has a chance, as do we.
Very good news!
 #109226  by Owen

I would love to convert my PEW! PEW! into pew pew.
 #109240  by MrCoolDale

I received a reply a couple of days ago, I've just been a bit too busy to post it.
Dale,

Thank you very much for reaching out to us, and for your support of the
issue.

To fill you in on where we are, our General Counsel has been out to Delaware
several times over the past year, meeting with legislators, and briefing
them on suppressors. We are actually going to be sitting down with the NRA
state lobbyist for Delaware on Thursday to discuss our game plan going into
the 2017 session. Our plan right now is to have legislation introduced, and
we will work it hard. Delaware is going to be high on our priority list, and
is one that we hope to be able to change in the near future.

I hope that this helps. Once we get the bill introduced, we will have a good
rallying point to encourage people to contact their legislators. Please let
me know if there's anything else that we can help with.

Thanks again.

Thanks,

Knox Williams | President & Executive Director
American Suppressor Association
So, it would seem they are setting their sights on Delaware for the coming year. Sounds good to me!
 #109248  by Kuntryboy816

MrCoolDale wrote:I received a reply a couple of days ago, I've just been a bit too busy to post it.
Dale,

Thank you very much for reaching out to us, and for your support of the
issue.

To fill you in on where we are, our General Counsel has been out to Delaware
several times over the past year, meeting with legislators, and briefing
them on suppressors. We are actually going to be sitting down with the NRA
state lobbyist for Delaware on Thursday to discuss our game plan going into
the 2017 session. Our plan right now is to have legislation introduced, and
we will work it hard. Delaware is going to be high on our priority list, and
is one that we hope to be able to change in the near future.

I hope that this helps. Once we get the bill introduced, we will have a good
rallying point to encourage people to contact their legislators. Please let
me know if there's anything else that we can help with.

Thanks again.

Thanks,

Knox Williams | President & Executive Director
American Suppressor Association
So, it would seem they are setting their sights on Delaware for the coming year. Sounds good to me!
:applause: Thank you for sharing!