Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #109164  by Boots

MikesDuster wrote:...
I am keeping my car reg and drivers license in Florida for a yr, so ill have time to get a Florida non-resident license. ....
Once you establish residence in another State, you have a limited time to change your driver license. For DE I forget if it's 30 or 60 days.

Legally speaking, if you are involved in a self-defense shooting, and it's found that you have a residence in DE but have illegally maintained a FL DL in order to illegally conceal carry here, your troubles are just beginning.

In spite of whatever DL you have, or don't have, a DE resident MUST have a DE CCDW in order to conceal carry in DE.

I don't like it either, but that's the way it is here.
 #109174  by Kuntryboy816

Boots wrote:
I am keeping my car reg and drivers license in Florida for a yr, so ill have time to get a Florida non-resident license. ....
Once you establish residence in another State, you have a limited time to change your driver license. For DE I forget if it's 30 or 60 days.

Legally speaking, if you are involved in a self-defense shooting, and it's found that you have a residence in DE but have illegally maintained a FL DL in order to illegally conceal carry here, your troubles are just beginning.

In spite of whatever DL you have, or don't have, a DE resident MUST have a DE CCDW in order to conceal carry in DE.

Is there any type of provision to that rule if you keep a residence in another state? ...sort of like w/ car tags and insurance? I thought that I read, a while back, something to the effect of it depending on if you spent so many days in another said state that you didn't need to transfer residency... but I could be wrong as it was quite a while back that I'm pulling a memory from. :|
 #109176  by Boots

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Is there any type of provision to that rule if you keep a residence in another state? ...sort of like w/ car tags and insurance? I thought that I read, a while back, something to the effect of it depending on if you spent so many days in another said state that you didn't need to transfer residency... but I could be wrong as it was quite a while back that I'm pulling a memory from. :|
You're talking about something entirely different.

If you're leaving a residence in one state and transferring to one in another state, your address on your license is no longer valid and you have a limited time to get a new license in the state you're moving to.

However, if you are maintaining a residence in your home state year round (where you will live for more than half the year) there is no need to change your license to the state where you have a temporary residence (where you live for less than half a year).

Snow birds decide which state is their "home" residence and then make sure they spend at least half the year there. The rest of the year is spent at their other residence.
 #109227  by Boots

MikesDuster wrote:Does anyone think that Delaware will accept more states CCL, in the near future???
Anyone on here have a Utah CCL???
I have UT, which can cover me in states that don't honor my DE CCDW while I'm traveling.

However, a DE resident MUST have a DE CCDW for concealed carry.
 #109230  by GatorDude

MikesDuster wrote:Does anyone think that Delaware will accept more states CCL, in the near future???
It is unlikely that the Delaware AG will expand the list of reciprocal states. He is not a fan of firearms.
 #109236  by Kuntryboy816

GatorDude wrote:
It is unlikely that the Delaware AG will expand the list of reciprocal states. He is not a fan of firearms.
He won't do it of his own accord.... BUT hopefully soon he won't have any choice in the matter! ;)
 #109346  by NormH3

Kuntryboy816 wrote:
Boots wrote:

Is there any type of provision to that rule if you keep a residence in another state? ...sort of like w/ car tags and insurance? I thought that I read, a while back, something to the effect of it depending on if you spent so many days in another said state that you didn't need to transfer residency... but I could be wrong as it was quite a while back that I'm pulling a memory from. :|
Driver's license concerning new resident..

https://www.dmv.de.gov/services/driver_ ... ov18.shtml
 #109347  by GatorDude

Your "residence" is generally the state where you spend the majority of your time (there are exceptions). You can be "domiciled" in more than one state (houses in two states, for instance). You are supposed to (required) to have your DL in the state of your residence. You are given a period of time when you change residences to apply for the correct state license.

A vehicle does not necessarily need to be registered in the state of your residence. Rather, it is supposed to be registered either in your state of residence or where it is principally "garaged" (parked/kept). Most people who live/reside in one state and have a vehicle registered and insured in another state are probably doing so illegally.