Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #110547  by Soup

Hello. New guy here. Just curious if anyone open carries in the city of Wilmington. I've heard there's a risk of being detained and/or having a cop draw down on you. Any knowledge of the topic would be greatly appreciated.
 #110548  by NormH3

I think the City of Wilmington learned a lesson a few years back. You should be good to go.
 #110549  by Kuntryboy816

I have but not recently... just because I don't go into Wilmington that often and try not to if I can help it. I used to hang out and watch my buddy's softball team play during the spring/summer leagues (4th & Ferris if I recall correctly) and never had any issues while OC. I actually talked to a Wilm PD officer who just happened to stop by to watch the game for a few moments... I think his sister/niece was playing. I actually initiated the convo and he hadn't even noticed that I was carrying until that point. We spoke for a few minutes and then he thanked me for doing so and I thanked him for his service to the community. Pleasant interaction and we went on with our lives.
 #110551  by Soup

Kuntryboy816 wrote:I have but not recently... just because I don't go into Wilmington that often and try not to if I can help it. I used to hang out and watch my buddy's softball team play during the spring/summer leagues (4th & Ferris if I recall correctly) and never had any issues while OC. I actually talked to a Wilm PD officer who just happened to stop by to watch the game for a few moments... I think his sister/niece was playing. I actually initiated the convo and he hadn't even noticed that I was carrying until that point. We spoke for a few minutes and then he thanked me for doing so and I thanked him for his service to the community. Pleasant interaction and we went on with our lives.
Good to know! I live on the riverfront so I don't have the option to not go into the city. Haha! It's a great place to live and the crime is low,however, 4 blocks away and you're directly in the hood...and the scumbags know there's money here so there have been a few muggings. I'm just leery of somebody being totally freaked out seeing a 240 pound,6'2" guy,covered in tattoos with a 1911 on his hip. I already got into it with a crazy anti gun liberal who yelled at me and asked me to show my permit. Wasn't even worth my time to argue with them
 #110552  by Amy Blackthorn

Carried in the city, have had to deal with WilmPD professionally and every one of the officers I've talked to have said they had a department wide meeting outlining open carry being legal and not a RAS for a stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #110553  by Soup

Amy Blackthorn wrote:Carried in the city, have had to deal with WilmPD professionally and every one of the officers I've talked to have said they had a department wide meeting outlining open carry being legal and not a RAS for a stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amy,this is great to hear! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
 #110554  by josephjanes

'Crazy anti-gun liberal' you mention - did he/she 'ask' or 'demand' to see your permit (not required in DE) ?? Did he/she show you a badge ?? I generally deal with unreasonable people with a 'Have A Nice Day', and moving on.
Problem I see living in close proximity to the 'hood' , as you describe it, is your head will have to be on a swivel. So many illegal guns there already, you'd be a target to be shot in the back so someone could get your gun.
If you're in one of the Apts., Condo's on Riverfront, keep up with Homeowner's Assn. meetings, minutes, newsletters, so that someone doesn't try to restrict your 2A rights. (It's settled case law, as far as I know, but someone may still try).
Good Luck ! Hope to see you at a meeting !