If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #44327  by astro_wanabe

Well I wasn't actually OC'ing but this is OC related so I thought I would post it.

We were discussing public vs. private goods in my macroeconomics class at DelTech today, specifically why the private market doesn't do a good job of purchasing public goods. Things like street lamps were given as examples, then came the example of the police. The professor said that if we didn't have police then we would have more private-sector purchasing of security "goods" but it wouldn't have the same community-wide benefits. For example Dupont would hire more gaurds and arm them, you might see neighbourhoods getting security gaurds for patrols, etc.

Then the professor mentioned the AZ shooting and asked if anybody had heard about the man who was still in the store at the time and came running out. I replied that I had and told the story to the class of how the man was carrying and was going to shoot the murderer but held his fire due because the BG wasn't a threat at that moment. The professor said that without the police we, as individuals, might start exercising our 2nd ammendment rights and "doing it like they do in Arizona, arming ourselves, just strapping it out on your hip" (motioning placing a "gun" into a holster just below the belt, like where a cowboy holster would ride). Well I was going to make a mention of OC in DE, but somebody else beat me to it! A student quickly mentioned that you can already do that here because open carry was legal in DE, and a second student backed him up on the claim before I could even open my mouth!
:pbjtime: :pbjtime:

The professor (jokingly, I think) said that if he was still in the restaurant business he might ask for guns to be checked at the door, :pointlaugh: but would give waitresses tazers incase the patrons insulted his food :shock: . Student #1 seemed to disagree with this policy, but quickly put a word in that the professor could enforce his property rights to demand firearms be checked at the door if so desired.

This student and the professor are both vets and swapped a few military examples for economic activity discussed in the class, like women being banned from certain roles or getting certain priviliges in the military like showers every couple of days while the guys had to stay in the field and use baby wipes. All in all it's the most interesting class I've had in 3 years of higher ed! I'll talk to the student next class and see if he's heard of the group or carries.
 #44334  by radnor

astro_wanabe wrote:The professor (jokingly, I think) said that if he was still in the restaurant business he might ask for guns to be checked at the door, :pointlaugh: but would give waitresses tazers incase the patrons insulted his food :shock: .
When is the next meeting??? Sounds like the prof needs an invite...
 #44341  by dave_in_delaware

Great discussion (except for checking guns at a restaurant - dumb idea). Thanks for sharing that!
 #44343  by GatorDude

dave_in_delaware wrote:Great discussion (except for checking guns at a restaurant - dumb idea). Thanks for sharing that!
I think that was said in jest, Dave. Can you imagine: Here's my loaded firearm...no safety on this bad boy....don't shoot yourself or anyone else inadvertently....
 #44344  by dave_in_delaware

GatorDude wrote:I think that was said in jest, Dave. Can you imagine: Here's my loaded firearm...no safety on this bad boy....don't shoot yourself or anyone else inadvertently....
Yes, I know. That's why it would be a dumb idea........
 #44977  by allischalmersman

I took macro two semesters ago at Terry. Where are you at? Neat convo regardless. Now to get DelTech to allow campus carry :)
 #44982  by astro_wanabe

allischalmersman wrote:I took macro two semesters ago at Terry. Where are you at?
I'm currently at the Stanton/Wilmington campus. I'm just now restarting my education career so I'll be here for the next 2 years or so.
allischalmersman wrote:Neat convo regardless. Now to get DelTech to allow campus carry :)
Oh, but every time changing restrictions in Delaware is brought up, pro-gunners get riled up because it might give an opportunity for the anti's to try to add some, and the status quo is accepted... :roll:

Anyways you can take a look at my rather long introduction in the New Member's thread (bottom of page): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27&start=720

I was a campus leader for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus in Alabama, but have decided to not try and take up a leadership role for anything at the moment and just focus on my studies. I don't think the resistance at DelTech would be quite as high as at someplace like UD. Larger university administrations have more power to lose, and the students at UD seem more like "stereotypical liberals" (based on living in Newark, no offence to pro-gun liberals). It would probably take a state law change to get the colleges to give in though. AFAIK, it's currently only against the rules, now any law, although IANAL. If you did decide to carry and got caught, I think you could safely kiss your academic career goodbye.

I did try to ask the professor about his comments, but he said that he just brought up Arizona as a current event kinda thing. I haven't had a chance to talk with the other student yet.
 #44992  by allischalmersman

I am at terry right now. Last semester here (thank God). Things are a little less liberal down here, but I'm sure it would take almost a miracle for them to accept a carry policy here too.