Discussions pertaining to obtaining your FFL or C&R License or discussing C&R firearms.
 #50612  by Tate

Hey guys i am thinking of buying a Mosin Nagant 91/30 from aimsurplus. My first question is should i buy a hex receiver or a round,(and what is the difference?) 2nd question is how much am i looking at to get the head space checked out by a gunsmith? I do not want it to blow up in my hands. And 3rd does anyone else here have one that they shoot? What are your thoughts? I just figured for $69 for a round receiver and $79 for a hex it would be the cheapest rifle ever. I mean come on High Point cant even make them that cheap. And i dont think the 7.62x54r is anything to laugh at. I just watched a youtube video of a guy shooting one at 1,000 yards and hitting a 18" target. Pretty damn impressive for a gun that old.
 #50685  by Strelok

There is no difference between hex and round receiver from accuracy or reliability perspective.
Originally rifle was made with hex receiver. In 1930 Russian decided to make some changes (round receiver, sights, etc...) to simplify the production.
If you get Mosin with all matching parts, that is 99.9% that it will have proper head space. When rifles were refurbished after the war by Arsenal, they made sure that the rifles are operational. I recently got one of those at the show. It groups well enough and fun to shoot. Keep the stock tight to your shoulder, that ain't AR. :lol:

Here is my recent outing with my Mosin:

#50690  by GatorDude

I agree with Strelok.

I have one. I have the hex. I think it looks better (personal opinion). Fun rifle to shoot. Big kick. Make sure you clean it well if/when you get it. They are saturated in that stuff they store them in (not even going to attempt to spell it).
 #50691  by MyP1245

I've got one as well, round. Wasn't sure what I was going to end up with when I bought it, but figured what the heck, a little piece of WWII history for cheap if nothing else. Mine has 1942 stamped on it. I've only put 25 rounds through mine, but felt pretty good about it. Does take a little work to clean all the cosmoline off of it, but mine shot fine after doing so, and making sure everything is tight. Mine had some loose screws but that was easily corrected. Biggest challenge for me is getting ammo that is reasonbly priced that you can shoot at public ranges. Seem most of it has bi-metallic jackets, copper over steel, and they don't like steel jacketed ammo, but the russian ammo is fairly cheap if you have a place to shoot it.
 #50698  by Strelok

GatorDude wrote:I agree with Strelok.

I have one. I have the hex. I think it looks better (personal opinion). Fun rifle to shoot. Big kick. Make sure you clean it well if/when you get it. They are saturated in that stuff they store them in (not even going to attempt to spell it).
It's "cosmoline".
 #90500  by outrun

I am late chiming in...look into Finnish Mosin Nagants. They perfected them and will usually outshoot stock Garands and Springfields. They were purpose built for extreme accuracy of fire as a force multiplier against the massive Red Army.

The hex receivers date to Imperial Russia when the machining was very precise. Another point is that these rifles are extremely (if not absolute minus one or two cases I have seen) safe and will not explode, kill, or maim the user! There are tons of pre-1898 antique receivers being used as shooters to this day. The current M85 or TKIV85 Finnish Army sniper trainer are using rearsenaled and highly modified antique receivers to this day. That is mind blowing to consider 115+ year old actions are safe and still used.
 #90509  by Kuntryboy816

outrun wrote:I am late chiming in...look into Finnish Mosin Nagants. They perfected them and will usually outshoot stock Garands and Springfields. They were purpose built for extreme accuracy of fire as a force multiplier against the massive Red Army.

The hex receivers date to Imperial Russia when the machining was very precise. Another point is that these rifles are extremely (if not absolute minus one or two cases I have seen) safe and will not explode, kill, or maim the user! There are tons of pre-1898 antique receivers being used as shooters to this day. The current M85 or TKIV85 Finnish Army sniper trainer are using rearsenaled and highly modified antique receivers to this day. That is mind blowing to consider 115+ year old actions are safe and still used.
The receiver on mine is an antique hex dated 1896!! I have no qualms at all about shooting it. It looks as strong as the day it was made. 8-)
 #90757  by spillanej

My yugoslavian refurbished russian 1942 will put a bullet 500 ysrds out exactly where the irons are pointing. Wish I could find a 1000 yard range...
 #90760  by twfran

We took a friend's 1938 Tula out to the range (200 yds) a couple of weeks ago. Great shooting rifle! I think I caught the bug. Can't beat the price of the rifle or the price (and availability) of the ammo. Not the prettiest firearm, not really smooth either. But, very sturdy and shoots straight.

Was there someone on the forum a while back who was selling rifles from a lot they received?
 #90763  by Tate

Well it took some time, but I did pick up a Mosin a while back from Viper98, great deal! It's a 1942 and looks great! If your interested and looking I'm sure Viper98 could help you out!