Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #94841  by Owen

TexasJay wrote:
Owen wrote:I had to alter my Safariland ALS holster to fit my Sig. Seems the rail version is "thicker" than the non-rail. It wasn't to hard because my holster uses the ejection port not trigger guard for retention. I just had to grind down the opposing piece of plastic that creates the tension.
Where did you get your safariland?
I got the holster from Amazon of all places: http://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Concea ... B001V2V618
 #94852  by TexasJay

Boots wrote:
TexasJay wrote:So I bought a Sig 229 from Viper98. I go get a serpa holster and its the darndest thing...holster doesn't fit.
Turns out SIG has changed the width of rails on some of their guns.
So, you actually got a P229R and not a P229, right? So, did you get a P229R holster, or a regular P229 holster? Your OP isn't clear (to me) so, it sounds like you're trying to fit a rail gun into a regular holster.

I don't have rails on any of my carry guns, so maybe you can help me understand your problem.

My SIG has a rail. I've tried every black hawk holster for sings and the blackhawks just don't fit.
 #94878  by Boots

TexasJay wrote:... My SIG has a rail. I've tried every black hawk holster for sings and the blackhawks just don't fit.
Interesting.
FAQ at React Gear wrote:What holster will fit a Sig Sauer P229R with rail?
Any holster that will accommodate a standard Sig 229 will also accommodate the P229R with rail.
(From: http://www.reactgear.com/help_answer.asp?ID=21#270 )

Did a little research and it seems that since rails have become basically "standard equipment," on the new guns, even Sig is no longer keeping the distinction of P229 vs. P229R and commonly just drops the "R".

That being said, it does seem your bare, un-modified P229R should fit newly manufactured holsters marked P229. However, if there is a size difference between the P229R gun and the P229 gun, older holsters marked P229, before rails became in vogue, might be a problem.

Try contacting SIG Sauer directly and ask if there have been any changes to the rail on the P229R and let us know what they say.
 #96558  by 08///M3Saloon

The SERPA would not be the same as it's not kydex a (PVC) thermoform-able plastic it's an injection molded piece of an ABS type of plastic. You could possibly heat it for minor modification but from my experience with little to no precision. If you are dead set on a SERPA the best mod IMO is a dremel and patience. Slowly remove material and check fit until you get what you're looking for. However the best advice is find a holster designed for your choice of firearm that requires no modification.
 #96619  by Boots

TexasJay wrote:I forgot about this post. I finally found a blackhack. The Sig P220/226 holster with the retention screw loosened a bit and presto it fits.
So, a Serpa Blackhawk Sig P220/226 holster fits your P229R, but not a Serpa Blackhawk Sig P229 holster?
 #96733  by TexasJay

Boots wrote:
TexasJay wrote:I forgot about this post. I finally found a blackhack. The Sig P220/226 holster with the retention screw loosened a bit and presto it fits.
So, a Serpa Blackhawk Sig P220/226 holster fits your P229R, but not a Serpa Blackhawk Sig P229 holster?
Black hawk still has a different holster for the 229/229R. I apparently has the one for the one without a rail. I haven't been able to try the one for a railed gun.