Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #97144  by Kuntryboy816

So I typed all this out Monday but the danged PC screwed up the reply and I didn't feel like typing it all back out until today....

So I have been talking with a guy about making a custom Kydex holster. He doesn't have a mold for my pistol so we've agreed that I will order the Kydex and make the mold then send it to him for the holster.

While I was perusing the interwebz I found out that you can order Kydex in different patterns/colors other than black. I'm partial to a few of them and am seriously considering ordering a camo pattern. I'm still trying to decide what'll work best with the leather back of the holster... as I even have a few choices of leather color and the color thread for the stitching.

My question is: Do you think having a custom color holster would send the wrong message to the sheeple? Would it possibly become a negative issue should I ever have to defend myself in court? Logically my reasoning says, "Hey, there are firearms out there that are customized to suit a person's particular taste in appearance and performance so that they're a bit different from all the rest." Then there's that nagging little twinge that says, "Standing out isn't always a good thing!"

I'm not necessarily a person who want's to stand out from the crowd but I do enjoy putting my own little spin on things. I don't always want to blend in or be the same as everyone else out there. I don't want to go all out crazy and use Zombie Green Kydex for my holster (although I think it'd be pretty cool and I did consider it for a minute or two) but I think just straight black is rather boring. The holster is a dual purpose IWB and OWB holster. More often than not, I believe I would use it more for OC than CC.

Here's the site that has all of the color options I'm considering. I like a LOT of them but the only one I WILL NOT consider is the Graveyard Camo! It sends a very strong message to myself having it wrapped around a pistol so I could only imagine the type of panic it would casue among the Hoplophobes out there!!

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41_54_136
 #97150  by Surface Dragon

You are allowed to express yourself.
My holster has an american flag bandana wraped around.
Apart from looking cool the bandana keeps my firearm from wobbling around in its holster and hides the release button.
(Posting an img didn't seem to work? so here is a link to a picture that i just took with my phone)
https://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=13584282543
 #97152  by NCC

Surface Dragon wrote:You are allowed to express yourself.
Don't listen to Dragon KuntryBoy, MAN UP! Get the pink Kydex like the rest of us. Goes great with the black leather whip, er, um, back.
 #97154  by Kuntryboy816

:lol: Not that the color is a hinderance to my decision in the end but I guess I should've specified my palate choices. :lol:

Surface Dragon wrote:...Apart from looking cool the bandana keeps my firearm from wobbling around in its holster and hides the release button.
What brand of holster are you using? There shouldn't be any wiggle room. Is there an adjustment piece on the holster? My Serpa isn't even specified for my FN but it fits and holds w/o any movement whatsoever.

To each their own but I'd rather not have anything externally on the holster that may interfere with my ability to draw my weapon in a life and death scenario. About the only customization I'm considering is the impregnated color of the Kydex.

What I'm looking for is opinion on whether a holster that doesn't conform to the norm would present a negative image to others around me. Sort of like how I don't wear my Achmed the Dead Terrorist shirt with the slogan "I Kill Yoooou!" when I'm OC. :o
 #97156  by Surface Dragon

Kuntryboy816 wrote: What brand of holster are you using? There shouldn't be any wiggle room. Is there an adjustment piece on the holster?

To each their own but I'd rather not have anything externally on the holster that may interfere with my ability to draw my weapon in a life and death scenario.
Its a BLACKHAWK! SERPA holster and I've tried adjusting it but the wiggle won't go away. On a backpacking trip in the Mokelumne Wilderness I resorted to using a bandana when I noticed that the wiggle plus a small amount of dirt actually caused some wear on the slide's finish. The bandana hasn't interfered with the ability to draw my firearm yet but I do agree with you and admit that it is not ideal.
 #97161  by myopicvisionary

My 1911 does not wiggle in my SERPA holster. Are you using the correct model holster for your pistol?
 #97165  by Surface Dragon

^ yes, it has this right on the back of it
CQC™ Holsters
Glock 19
U.S.pat#5,918,784
BLACKHAWK.COM

And you guys got me worried so I tried adjusting it again today and I found out that there is a plastic piece on the adjustment screw that doesn't do a GD thing other than rattle around. I'm going to try and find a rubber washer or something to replace this part with as soon as the hardware store opens.

And I apologize for jacking this thread, maybe I should just retire the SERPA and invest in a new custom Kydex holster.
 #97168  by Kuntryboy816

laxplayer2 wrote:Not sure of u'r budget but 99% he has your model handgun. http://delarosatacticalholsters.com
Didn't see a selection for my FN in the drop down menu but that doesn't mean he doesn't have it. Guessing he lists the more popular brand names. His prices are pretty comparable to what I'm already looking at. Also the product that he sells, even with the custom colors, I could make myself. It's only Kydex and some rivets and screws. All of the materials are readily available online. Not knocking the guy or his business but for me, I'd rather save some $$ and put the effort into making my own if the holster was simply going to be just Kydex.

One difference is the holster I'm looking to have made can be both IWB and OWB. Radnor turned me on to these: http://www.firearmholster.com/
Surface Dragon wrote: And I apologize for jacking this thread, maybe I should just retire the SERPA and invest in a new custom Kydex holster.
No worries! I'd rather help a fellow out than see someone possibly get hurt or killed do to a defective product. Safety first! Have you checked Blackhawk's site for replacement parts? Contact them and let them know the issue. They may even send the part for free.
Dugan wrote:The forrest navy and dutch camos are nice and I hate camo haha.
I'm really digging on the urban camo and the 2 darker shades of gray. Okay I can't choose b/c I really only dislike about 4 of the colors they list for sale. :oops: