· Home ·   Forums ·  Who Are We? ·  What is Open Carry? ·  CCDW Process ·  FAQ ·  Contact ·  Terms ·

 Delaware Carry Concealed Deadly Weapon License 

Many of us have obtained our Delaware CCDW License, simply as a matter of convenience and to have the experience of applying so that we may advise others. The overall cost to obtain a license is approximately $400 and takes a minimum of about two months. Below, we'll explain the process as simply as we can and provide links to the state statute, forms and court instructions.

· Residency requirement: First and foremost, you must be a resident of the state of Delaware. If you're not a resident, you have the option of obtaining a Florida or Utah permit -- these methods are both less expensive, grant widespread reciprocity and they're both shall issue permits. Also, it should be noted that, if you are a Delaware resident, an out of state permit with Delaware reciprocity is not valid for you in the state of Delaware. Delaware residents must have a Delaware CCDW to legally conceal.

· Safety Training: The average cost of this course runs between $250 and $350. The content is dictated by Delaware law and must be administered by an instructor certified by a recognized organization -- most commonly, the NRA. The course covers the handling, cleaning and maintenance of your firearm and ammunition; storing your weapon and child safety; instruction on state laws pertaining to the use of deadly force, purchasing, possession and transportation of firearms; shooting fundamentals and a live fire exercise including the expenditure of at least 100 rounds.

This course may be taken after your application has been approved; however, if you are a new firearm owner and intend to open carry, we strongly recommend taking this safety course.

For quality training, Delaware Patriot offers the required training by certified instructors in Delaware.

· Publication of your intent: You must publish your full name, your home address and indicate your intent to make application for a Delaware CCDW in a newspaper, published in your county, that has a circulation of at least 35% percent of the population in your ZIP code. Check your local newspapers if they meet this qualification -- prices for a legal notice can run from $15-$75 depending on the publication. The notice must run at least ten days before you file your application and the newspaper will send you a notarized letter that your ad was run.

· References: You must have five reference questionnaires completed by people within your county. A link to the form can be found below.

· Photographs: You must supply two 2"x2" color passport-style photographs, taken within the past six months. You can have these done at most any camera store for $15.

· Fingerprinting: You must make an appointment to be fingerprinted for a background check performed by the state police. First available appointments can be several weeks from the date you call, so be sure to plan accordingly -- call ahead and check their lead time. The background check costs $69 and takes 6-8 weeks to complete; however, once you have your receipt of payment, you may file your application with the Prothonotary.

· Application: You must complete your application and have it notorized. You must file all paperwork, as well as a duplicate copy of all paperwork. The filing fee is $65.00 for the first three years.

Bear in mind that Delaware is a MAY ISSUE state and, even though you may have successfully submitted all required documents, passed the state police background check and Attorney General's investigation, the Judge may, at his discretion, choose to deny you a license. After the investigations are completed, it may take 2-3 weeks for the application to make it to the Judge for review, if your application is approved, your permit will be mailed to you within another 1-2 weeks.

When you have your permit, reciprocity agreements will allow you to carry in Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and West Virginia. Important note: Bear in mind that concealed carry laws vary greatly from state to state and, should you travel to one of these states, you should educate yourself on their laws and ordinances, as well as the laws and ordinances of the states through which you'll be travelling.

With your Delaware CCDW license, you'll be eligible to apply for a Pennsylvania non-resident License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF), a great convenience for those of us who live close to the state border. Pennsylvania is a SHALL ISSUE state and, as long as you mail a copy of your Delaware CCDW license, your driver's license and a check for $26 along with the application, you should receive your Pennsylvania LTCF in about two weeks. The easiest county from which you can obtain a permit by mail is the Centre County Sheriff's Office.

Your Delaware CCDW and your Pennsylvania LTCF will allow you to carry in about 28 states. If you're seeking maximum coverage, you'll want to obtain your Utah and Florida non-resident permits.

· Instructions for a new CCDW License.
· Application for a new/renewal CCDW License.
· Reference Questionnaire.
· Instructions for a new CCDW License for retired law enforcement.

©2008 Delaware Open Carry. All rights reserved. Use of content without express written permission is strictly prohibited.